“Bisq” is damaged and can’t be opened.... & I already tried the other solutions!

“Bisq” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

I have a Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.1

I was running Bisq, hadn’t opened it for a few months, when I did it said I needed to update it. So I looked around the app for the update option (under accounts, and under settings) and couldn’t find it, so I decided to just go the Bisq website (followed the link I found within the Bisq app itself) and clicked download. After downloading 1.9.14, It said it couldn’t install it as bisq was already opened, so I closed the old version of Bisq which was 1.9.12, then when it was trying to install I chose the option “to replace” the existing version. Then it gave me the message in the title of this post. So I googled it and found out how others have overcome this problem such as these two links:

To open Terminal, run the script, then type in the password. I tried, but it doesn’t accept my password. My password for Bisq was very long, the max amount of characters. I’ve tried typing it, copying and pasting it in, many times. I turned off my computer and tried this step again. Didn’t work. I just used the same password today at the beginning to successfully login before trying to update. So what gives?

So I tried this following link under the section where it says: If you want to open an app that hasn’t been notarized or is from an unidentified developer

My settings were already at “App Store and identified developers” as I have used Bisq before many times. I did NOT see any message saying “Open Anyway”. So I figured I’d toggle it, so I changed it to just “App Store”, then tried it again, then toggled it back to “App Store and identified developers” and never saw the message to “Open Anyway” after I tried to install again.

Lastly, I know I have some backups of Bisq, so I was wondering if the Bisq folder found here ( user - library - application support - Bisq ) was messing up the update, so I moved that Bisq folder to my desktop and tried everything again, no help.

Any other ideas? I wish I had never tried to update as I want to trade now! And I have BTC on there still that I can’t access. PLEASE HELP!

This is our official solution:
https://bisq.wiki/Downloading_and_installing#macOS
which could cover what you already have read about the issue.
Missing any other working way, running bisq in a linux VM is your last resort

It sounds like you are providing your Bisq password here. In order to run the command as sudo, you need to enter the administrator password for your computer, not the Bisq password. :herb: