Sold BTC via SEPA to a company

Hi guys,

I just sold BTC via SEPA and received the money, but the buyer’s bank account seems to be either a company or some sort of club or something. I cannot tell because it is in a foreign language, but it’s definitely not a name of a citizen.

I don’t want to dox here anything, but I would like to know how to proceed? If I knew beforehand, that I am selling to a company I wouldn’t have even started the trade.

I don’t know why companies would start buyingU/selling on bisq anyway.
Can somebody from the team or arbitrators please comment?

Preferable I would just like to dispute this, send the FIAT money back and cancel the transaction.

Has the transaction gone through yet? I’ve heard of this happen in the past and nothing came of it, no security/privacy concern. Let me see if I can find that conversation.

1 Like

I think this is fine. Selling via a company can offer additional privacy to traders. Also, it a company, organization or club wants to trade on Bisq that is great.

Ideally Bisq would be one anonymous party trading with another anonymous party.

If you do not want to trade with the user again I think you can block the onion address.

1 Like

@ManfredKarrer

Similar to:

Bisq should censorship resistant also for companies willing to use Bisq.
This company would lose a lot of reputations if they try to scam you, and I’m quite sure they can’t legally put you on any list without your permission as per EU GDPR.

I just completed a trade concerning as they appear to be a cyber security firm.

I’d already committed to the trade before the search, which was dumb on my part but it is what it is.

e. Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxcccccccckkkkkkkk

I can imagine there being a high risk of having your information included in the company’s financial records for tax purposes, which may mean that their tax authority may receive your information as the buyer/seller of the trade (e.g. through simple tax declaration or audit) and, depending on the trade amount, shared with your country’s tax authority and potentially other government departments in your country. Of course, the same risk is present with any Bisq trader who reports their trades for tax declarations or other purposes. It is a major privacy vulnerability, and who knows what it could result in years from now.

I think when trading with a business or individual the risk of BTC buyers / seller having their information revealed to tax authorities is low.

• Tax audits are relatively rare it is not uncommon for businesses never to be audited for tax purposes.
  • If a business is to be audited the authorities will be primary concerned with the business’ activities not who they sold / bought btc from.

I agree that what happens in the future is unknown and the anonymity of the payment method selected should be considered. Cash by mail, Money Orders, and Face to Face offer the most anonymity of all the payment methods on Bisq.