opened 07:15AM - 22 Feb 23 UTC
I added basic support for OS native desktop notifications:
I only tested it with OSX as java runtime (we do not have a binray build yet).
What is missing is:
- Get a binary build for all OS. Test on all OS with binary if the app name is displayed as "Bisq" and if Bisq icon is show and not Java icon or any other default icon.
- Test on Linux if `notify-send` is working. Add icon support. Check how AWT works in case `notify-send` is not supported.
- Test on Windows if ATW based version appears like a native notification.
- Test on M1 Mac if NotificationCenter based implementation is working.
- Test cases when mapping of AWT to native notification framework is not supported.
We want to keep dependencies minimal. So it is not a goal to add any library or native libs. Atm it is only OSX using `jna`. If there is a way to avoid that it would be preferred, but `osascript` seems to be too limited with supporting for icon and app name (shows as ScriptEditor with its icon) and opens ScriptEditor when clicking on the notifications, so that disqualifies it to be used. If one know how to fix that `osascript` would be preferred as it does not require `jna`.
We only want to display title and a short message with the Bisq icon as default. No need for error/warn/info levels or actions.
Thought it should support queuing of fast repeated notifications (on OSX they are shown as `xxx Notifications` if they happen too frequently and are listed in the NotificationCenter, a similar approach should be supported on other OS.
We do not implement yet a JavAFX based notifications framework like in Bisq1.
Binary build might get added by @alvasw - or if one is working on that please get in touch with him first.
If anyone is interested to work on that please reply here with:
- Estimated time it takes to complete the above tasks (after binary build is provided)
- Estimated costs in USD (will be paid as Bisq DAO compensation request in BSQ) for the above tasks (excluding binary build support)
- If not all OS can be supported, please let us know which OS you can support.