New requirement for payment accounts with charge back risk

I believe whenever feasible there should be a privacy alternative offered to KYC.

The way PayPal is able to do ‘instant’ bank transfers (i.e. spend from a linked bank account) is by having a linked credit card authorize a security hold, while PayPal pays for the purchase out-of-pocket. Once the bank transfer has completed successfully, the hold is released.

full explanation here (the PayPal Moderator’s post).

An analogous system can be used to effectively secure chargeback-able transfers. The buyer simply submits a BTC security deposit equal to the purchased amount of BTC (prior to performing the transfer), which will get refunded after a certain time period. This time period may be determined by algorithm, based on (1) the buyer’s history, (2) the payment method’s statistics - i.e. its historical time periods for chargebacks, and (3) the seller’s accepted level of risk.

A buyer may avoid this deposit by using one of the available means of reputation or identity verification, if he is able to do so.

People who live with their relatives do not have a utility bill in their name. Also all people do not have a social media, or had time or interest for such a thing. To me, making social media a requirement to use bitcoin would be sad.

KYC is a slippery slope. Yes it has a purpose. It also feeds an entire industry of people paid to circumvent it. And I believe there is almost always a viable alternative.

I hope bisq will continue to allow sellers to manage their own risk if they desire, i.e. accept buyers w/o identification, the way Paxful does currently (though this may be changing).

One way sellers on Paxful do this is by lowering their offer rate (of bitcoin per payment value) to offset their statistical risk of chargebacks.

This is another viable alternative to kyc. It avoids the need for an equal security deposit, as the seller is able to profit over the long term based on their known ratio of good customers. He is able to compete with kyc-requiring sellers by serving a larger market. If the seller finds he is unable to maintain a profitable ratio or protect himself legally, then he can adopt one or more of the verification systems/options, and let someone better-equipped take a go at it.

anyway those are my thoughts

P.S.

Why not allow the seller to choose the security deposit for the trade, ranging from $0 - equal value, and a deposit-refund time period ranging from 0 - 1 year. The buyer can either accept those terms, or do some verification to reach a better set of terms (as stipulated by the seller), or move along.

This gives the seller a toolset of ways to manage their risk, and I think would be wonderful

Hello Manfred, hello community,

have you considered to ask the IMHO best expert in this kind of security problems, Bruce Schneier (https://www.schneier.com/) ?
He is strong pro Open Source and always interested in new technologies.
I’m pretty sure he would have good proposals for Bisq if Manfred is able to “sell” the request for a free consultation right. He might even blog about Bisq and its security problems and reach thousands of security professionals !

1 Like

Waow, it’s so sad you need to have this brainstorming just because the banking system is designed the wrong way. Satoshi invented a trustless system and so should remain Bisq.

Here are some comments:

• The beauty of Bisq is its privacy so you need to keep that as the first criteria. Using social media as 2FA really sounds like a poor workaround compared with the overall greatness of Bisq.

• Relying on the seller to do KYC would be really bad. As a buyer, I would never send my ID to a seller even if it gets watermarked. Also, a scammer can easily Photoshop/GIMP a selfie and trick a forensic analysis (such as http://fotoforensics.com/) by scanning a printed version of an edited picture + editing the metatags. If you really want to go with KYC, I think @leo idea to have the user rely on a specialized KYC service of its choice is the least worst (the other party would judge if the chosen service is reliable or not).

• I don’t understand how a decentralized reputation system can work. Darknets is the home of scammers so I think it’s not that hard to create a good reputation using fake transactions

I realize this topic is about stolen bank accounts but I hope it is less a risk now that we are in 2018 and 2FA is mandatory for all EU banks at least. In fact, I am more concerned about triangular scams (such as the one described at Are there scams in Bisq?) which is very common on localbitcoins. I understand the current protection on Bisq is to limit the amount sent via SEPA based on age but I have 4 banks and only 1 of them let me see the sending IBAN when I receive a SEPA (the 3 others just give me the name of the sender). So a triangular scammer could very well have a fake IBAN age the necessary time (so he can buy any amount) and have its victim sending me the SEPA and I would have no way to control… Also, storing a hash of the IBAN’s in Bisq might be a leak of privacy if you consider that a Belgian IBAN has only 16 characters from which only 7 numeric characters are random (16 - 2 for “BE” - 5 for the branch which is a shortlist - 2 for the validation code). That makes a short list to bruteforce with John the Ripper.

Fortunately, Bisq is not used by scammers yet but I don’t see why it won’t happen if nothing changes. Maybe you should consider pausing the fiat reversible methods until they get reliable. In the meanwhile you could focus on new solutions such as cash deposited via ATM and enhance the crypto to crypto trades (by using the blockchain for step3 for example, see Why not use blockchain for step 3?).

It is just a personal opinion and I am sorry if I sound harsh, especially because I only criticize but I don’t bring new ideas. I had a good thought about it but I couldn’t find anything really good. I just think that Bisq is the best solution out there so we all need to protect it.

Thanks for your feedback!

That thread was motivated by a chargeback case more then one year back. We had been initially worried that it could have been a bigger damage as it actually was (was a single case). So we tried to brainstrom all kind of possibilities without considering any of those more closely, thinking what could be done and what would be the consequences. We are very aware that privacy protection is the core of Bisq and any compromise in that area would be fatal. Though if security is compromised Bisq would be dead anyway.

Regarding the account age witness feature: The hash of the bank account data are created with an additional salt which is only revealed to the trade peer, so brute force should be not an issue here.

Unfortunately the Fiat side is very problematic in 99% of the payment methods, but as Bisqs main mission is to provide a privacy protecting Fiat gateway to Bitcoin we cannot just limit that to those very few less hurting payment methods (thought those have usually other problems like F2F) and we also don’t want to limit Bisq to crypto-crypto exchange. To improve that is on our roadmap (e.g. automate altcoin trade with API) though.

Hello Manfred and thanks for your answer. I wish you all the best with Bisq. Good to know about the salt in the IBAN hash. Quick question though, doesn’t it allow a scammer to do multiple small transactions while its account is limited by age?

Yes, of course. Limits are only per single trade.
However, not dealing with big trades means that arbitrators will have time to react and less damage can be done before they do. That is the idea at least.

Stolen bank account scammer increase their risk that the account theft gets discovered when doing more transactions. So our assumption is that those criminals prefer to cash out in few transactions and Bisq becomes not attractive to them.

1 Like

I had my first encounter with fraud on bisq through Interac (bank to bank transfer in Canada). I was selling some BTC and apparently the buyer was using a hacked account to make the purchase, I found out about a month afterwards and after about a month of back and forth I finally convinced my bank not to confiscate the funds from my account and help restore my service. Now I’m struggling to find a way to transact in CAD that I am comfortable with. A reputation system like this would be awesome.

However, I wouldn’t trust a 0 rep user to do any transaction with them, no matter how small the limit is. As I have learned through my ordeal is that at least in Canada, Interac will cut you off at any sign of fraud and it is up to your bank to convince them that you are not involved. So basically if you are caught up in fraud, you are at the mercy of a bank employee to fight for you and an Interac employee to believe in you, which is too much of a gamble for me to attempt again.

Also, if the order book is thick enough, a bad actor could in theory spam multiple small offers before they are discovered.

I like the idea from wodry to hold the BTC for a month before releasing it for the first transaction. I’m not clear what the purpose of wait time from account creation to first paying / buy offer is though.

Also, there is still a risk that a bad actor can get you in trouble with your bank even if they don’t benefit from it monetarily.

Having the ability to choose if you’re willing to take that risk (accepting 0 rep trades) would be nice as well.

Oh sorry to hear that! But good that you could avoid that the Bank externalized their poor security to you!

Reputation is problematic: Such a scammer could do several trades, earn good reputation and then 1 month later you get the chargeback. Also it hurts new honest users as they will find it harder to find traders.

The broken system of banks by allowing chargeback cannot be 100% solved in an exchange unfortunately. The rate of chargebacks is luckily super low (2 reported cases with Zelle and now yours - the Cashapp/Venmo cases have been because it was a mistake to add those insecure payment methods), so it seems that the protection in place works good enough.
Keep in mind that any additional friction like delayed payout or reputation will lower trade volume as many users will not be willing to take that disadvantages. To find the right balance between usability and risk exposure is a challenge. To get 100% safetly against chargeback we need to wait until Fiat is not required anymore. F2F trade might be an alternative but that comes with other risks and inconveniences.

Thanks @ManfredKarrer, unfortunately Canada is becoming more and more crypto hostile. Especially with the recent QuadrigaCX fiasco.

I agree, a scammer can do a lot of damage before they are discovered but I think a mix between your initial proposal and @anon10998290’s suggestions could do some good in mitigating some of the risk involved in trading on Bisq (at least it would make me feel better :)). Even if initially the reputation system is just a soft (non-enforced) system and we give users the choice on what risk they are willing to take.

Just to reiterate your previous discussion since I’m digging up such an old thread:

1. User A is a new user and they create an account. Their account # and nonce is hashed etc. Following @anon10998290’s examples, their account is now flagged Red

2. User B is a market maker seller of BTC. User B has a choice on offer creation to allow Red users to take their offer. Here there is a bit of a barrier to entry for new users, but at least User B has a choice. Perhaps it is worth the risk to them if their margin is high or the trade amount is lower etc.

3. User A manages to take User B’s offer, after a month of elapsed time and User B has not reported a chargeback, their account is marked Orange (not sure how this would be done)

4. User C != User B and User C is a market maker seller of BTC. User C has a choice on offer creation to allow Orange users to take their offer.

5. User A manages to take User C’s offer, after a month of elapsed time and User C has not reported a chargeback, their account is marked Green. I think a green level user is a pretty safe user to deal with for any risk appetite (maybe?).

The age requirement is easier for a scammer to work around than the proposed reputation system (the scammer I encountered had an age of 244 days when I dealt with them). This also gives the users a choice of risk they are willing to take and to customize their offers according to risk involved. Of course this doesn’t have to apply to all payment methods. It could just be applied to those with the highest chargeback risk, I think it is preferable to outright removing a payment method when we reach some threshold of reported issues/chargebacks.

EDIT: I overlooked the issue of a scammer gaming the system by creating multiple accounts and creating fake transactions to promote/validate a scam account. To work around the issue, just off the top of my head:

Require User B and User C in #2 and #4 to be “Green” status themselves, otherwise, their transaction will have no effect on the status of User A’s account.

Initially, all current accounts are Green. Users you have previously transacted with can claim a chargeback which will demote your status (I don’t know if this is possible/desirable). The thought is: any existing scammers will be weeded out of the system eventually if they somehow circumvent the safeguards.

Also, when User B or User C transacts with User A, they are in essence vouching for User A. I think it may have been mentioned in this thread, but perhaps we can include a mechanism in the DAO for the ability to vouch for a user account without actually requiring a transaction:

1. User D is a voucher with a green status. He can lock up the maximum transaction amount of an Orange user in BSQ in order to vouch for User A.

2. User A is the vouchee. After User D vouches for him/her they are now Orange if their transaction gets charged-back etc. both User D and User A are demoted.

Maybe have a black status as well for accounts that have proven to be scammers.

Would this be feasible?

Decentralized reputation system which cannot easily be tricked by sybil attacks are a hard problem. Web of trust is probably the best one can get, but as we know that was not very successful as it is very complex to understand and use. We had that discussions with reputation from day 1 when I started and I even had it planned in the beginning just to find out later that it creates more new problems as it tries to solve. Current reputation systems are usually centralized and then it is much easier but still there is lots of abuse possible. Another big problem is that reputation requires identity and that does not match well with privacy.
Not arguing that it is impossible and that we will never try to iplement one, we had even serious discussions how to do it, but it always turned out to be a very big project and its questionable how much it will help. But a combination of several tools migth be just the good enough solution what we need. there is no 100% security if banks and fiat is involved. but as said i think bisq has a very good track record (3 chargebacks in 2,5 years). so it seems that the mix we have is already good enough.
i know that is not help if you are one of those 3 victims… but think of the 1000s of MtGox victims who lost much more then what is possible in a single Bisq trade…

UK Faster Payments (GBP) do not appear to currently require signing?