PR for Face to Face trade

I just had a look at the screenshots and reading discussion. In general, very happy, thanks! a nice surprise. :slight_smile:

A couple thoughts:

1. I don’t see need for bringing laptop. I think most people doing f2f are accustomed to using phone wallets for actual transfer. And the laptop doesn’t accomplish so much. if a thief is going to rob me, he can simply shove a gun in my face and instruct me to confirm the transaction was completed. Then he takes my laptop too. Instead, why not let the meetup be for funds transfer only, and then the final step is completed when one is back in a safe place.

2. The escrow brings some warm fuzzies for both parties, but may actually be a risk for bisq project and arbitrators as it puts them in uncomfortable situation if law enforcement gets involved over a dispute. Bisq could instead act simply as a “counterparty discovery” mechanism, and everything that happens after two parties contact eachother is their own responsibility and no one else’s. I fear that the arbitration feature could become a “hook” one day used by kyc/aml advocates to go after the bisq project, particularly if a violent crime ever occurred and funds were somehow released to the wrongdoer.

In general, I suggest f2f participants to use the following strategy.

1. Use a system such as bisq to find new people to trade with locally.
  2. For first trade(s) with someone, use small amounts only. Bring a phone wallet with only small amounts loaded, or equiv small amount in cash. Meet in public place and Bring a friend or two if you are worried about safety.
  3. Get a feel for the person. Build up trust over a few smaller trades, or walk away.
  4. If the person is reliable and solid, you can continue to do many trades with them over time. Usually can just contact them directly, no need to use bisq, lbc, etc.

So imho the escrow is only really needed for large amounts and untrusted parties, but that’s not a situation one should find oneself in, if using above approach.

2 Likes