Same Wallet, Different Balances

I had a Bisq instance, and I successfully did a transaction (sale) several months ago. It was on a VM. I lost the VM, so when I wanted to do a second transaction, I had to start a new instance.

I did not have a backup (well I did, but on the VM) so I restored from seed. I added more BTC to my Bisq wallet, and I opened a transaction (sale), then I found the original VM, so I cancelled the sale.

When I open the original VM, my same seed words show up. I see the history of the first transaction, and I see my balance. But the balance is smaller than the balance on the new VM.

So first, this just seems weird, right? If both Bisq instances are using the same seed words and the same wallet, they should show the same balance, right? Or is there some hidden way this could be happening that someone can explain to me?

The original Bisq instance is the one with the smaller balance. But the difference is much smaller than the amount that I added to the new Bisq instance after I restored the seed, so that is not what is causing the difference. The difference is less than .01 so I do want to recover it but I will live if I don’t. But I really want to understand what is happening.

I have resynced the SPV or whatever, and I have resynced with Tor.

I could take a backup of either one and restore it on the other. I might try that in a new VM just to see what happens.

What can I do to debug? Thank you.

Are you on the latest Bisq version?
Sometimes the SPV resync does not work, try another one.

Well now there’s a new wrinkle. I saw today that there’s an upgrade to 1.9.8 and I did the upgrade and planned to re-re-sync the SPV.

But now I get an error when I try to run with --daoActivated=false, which I need because I’m on whonix. Unless the instructions have changed? Do you happen to know what the new instructions are, or have I just figured out how I’m spending my Christmas? :slight_smile:

Okay I removed the --daoActivated=false and ran the older, original Bisq instance that has the lower balance. I re-synced the SPV and there is no change. It still shows a lower balance than the newer one.

I don’t want to upgrade the new version until I know what the --daoActivated=false issue is because I want to know I have at least one functioning Bisq. Can you help with that so I can test upgrading both versions?

One more: is there a way to view all transactions and addreses? Kind of like you can in Electrum with CTRL-A to view all addresses? Then I could compare both instances. Thank you.

You can’t deactivate the DAO anymore, it will be necessary to have it due to other changes on how the DAO works affecting every trade.
The shortcut you’re looking for is probably ctrl+j. Other shortcuts are shown on Setup - About and maybe you also want to use ctrl+E

Thank you!

That wasn’t exactly what I was hoping for, I was looking for something that shows me the amount in each address (otherwise I have to look up each address individually on the blockchain which will take forever), sort of like Electrum does?

But this was still very helpful despite that. When I do CTRL-J on the older Bisq instance, the one with the smaller balance, CTRL-J shows all four of my balances as being the same as each other, and as the other Bisq instance. So that means that within this Bisq instance, I am seeing a different address in the UI from what CTRL-J shows.

Any idea what could cause that and how to fix?

I don’t expect a response this weekend of course. Enjoy the holiday if you are celebrating.

Also, do you think this means I can confidently spend the larger amount and not risk not having the funds to cover?

I’m sorry, I don’t know what this is. I don’t see a Setup menu option. The Bisq UI is extremely confusing to me so maybe it’s in front of me but I don’t see it. Can you direct me?

I have it in Spanish so maybe the wording I said is not exactly.
You can see the highlighted tabs.

Thank you! It’s “Settings” in english and I found it. You know, I think I ignored this every single time I looked around Bisq. I think my brain is trained to ignore “About” menu items because they usually just give the software version and URL. It’s funny how you can think you are looking everywhere but you are ignoring something right in front of your face.

This is helpful, thank you.

I am still not understanding why the “Available balance” in the UI is smaller than the available balance under CTRL-J. Very strange. I re-synced the SPV again, just to be sure. That is 4 times now.

If you celebrate Christmas, then have a Merry Christmas today.

@Mnm I opened a bug report for this issue because I think it is bigger than just my little support issue. But can you recommend a course of action to fix my situation so I can properly use Bisq?

I would like to use the correct balance, so maybe I should use the new instance? But I would also like to see my history if possible, and that is in the old instance. Which one should I use, and what actions should I take to reconcile them?

Thank you.

The most radical way is to import the seed into a new Bisq instance. Emergency wallet should also work.
https://bisq.wiki/Switching_to_a_new_data_directory

Anyway, it might be good to check why your displayed balance is incorrect and for that, is better to use bisq.chat so you can share logs and other details.

Okay but isn’t that how this problem started? The new instance shows the same balance as the CTRL-J balance in that instance, and also in the other instance. so maybe I should just start using that one. It doesn’t fix the bug, but it does help me move forward.

One question: is there a way to then import the history from the old (and mismatched) instance? I only have one transaction, I guess it’s not so important.

Well this is different from my original issue here, which is two balances from two instances. You’re talking about matching the displayed balance with the CTRL-J balance, which is this issue here that I replied to: Available Balance != BTC AVAILABLE - #7 by noremote

Matrix is marginal for me, and it’s out of margin without a privacy policy: You're invited to talk on Matrix

@MnM Hi did you see my question. You said

The most radical way is to import the seed into a new Bisq instance.

and I said:

Okay but isn’t that how this problem started? The new instance shows the same balance as the CTRL-J balance in that instance, and also in the other instance. so maybe I should just start using that one. It doesn’t fix the bug, but it does help me move forward.

I’m not at all sure how to proceed here. I have no way forward. (Also the bug is not resolved and could cause much more serious issues for other people of course)