Sellers Beware / heads up: chargebacks from CashApp, Venmo + Venmo account frozen

Just as update: I blocked the onion addresses and accounts from the scammers. Might be one person, at least the same onion address for multiple accounts suggests that. I am in contact with the victims and we consider further steps…

1 Like

Ok.
I was wondering about a classic reputation system … but the problem with (positive) reputation system, is that, by definition, it collects info, on all/every users, which is not very good for anonymity at least.
But what about a reverse reputation system.
Where reputation is only memorized for bad behaviours.
For instance, if it is noticed that a same onion adress is involved in more than 1 scam
… then, being recorded in some kind of blacklist, may be a good thing.

On the other hand, I imagine that a careful deinstall/reinstall of bisq may provoke a new onion adress ?
(or I’m wrong and there is some key method which avoids that ?)

Apologies for all those questions.

edit : ah ah, Manfred did cut the grass under my feet :slight_smile:

See IMPORTANT: Cash App and Venmo payment methods have been blocked due to chargeback activity

The scammer can easily use different computers. The onion address is not suitable as reputation ID as it is cheap to create a new one.

@ElGuapoAmigo Can you please check what the account age of the scammers was? You can see it when clicking the peers icon (at portfolio/history).
Just want to know when they have started their account.

This is why I think a maker approval window along with secure chat will arguably do more in allowing users to protect themselves against bad actors by giving them the option to screen takers/reconfirm trade terms and prevent issues down stream.

Done - just edited my earlier reply w. the rest of the scammer details to include this…

Apologies for the delay in getting this to you. I’ve been kinda busy trying to see if there’s anything that can be done with Venmo and CashApp support teams, so far no luck. If anything, they’ve been completely crappy with me, locking down my account and in CashApp’s case, they’re not even letting me access the remaining USD funds left in there (it’s only a few $ so no biggie, but still - insult to injury). In both cases, the support team is treating ME like the criminal / bad actor. Because in their eyes, activity hit my account that violates their terms of service and/or the fraud prevention policies of the OTHER party’s bank. So even though I’ve done nothing wrong, and the bad activity happened TO me, and was not caused BY me, they’re punishing me. Absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve since gone ahead and unlinked my US bank account from both Venmo and CashApp, and in the case of CashApp I’m now slowly siphoning out the small amount of Bitcoin I have stored on there. Venmo’s first to get shut down. As soon as I’m done getting my Bitcoin off CashApp, I’m demanding they delete my account and I will never use them again. I already shut down my PayPal account as well, just on principle alone. Never had a problem with them, but everything I’ve read during this whole mess tells me that they’re just as susceptible to chargebacks as Venmo and CashApp are. Besides, PayPal owns Venmo.

Educational for sure. Cost me $1,850 to learn how easy it is for scammers to exploit these payment methods. Glad it wasn’t worse.

2 Likes