SEPA Seller Name is an Exchange URL

Yesterday I called for support exposing my concerns that this is not an individual person and that this could be some kind of elaborated scam.

My point of view was:
"Supose the person on the other side of my trade is not the Exchange owner, but a scammer.
Once I sent the deposit, they knew my name and my bank account number.
They could have just created a false account with my data at the Exchange.
If I send the SEPA transfer to the exchange account, the exchange would assign that money to the newly created account with my name.
So the scammer would be at charge of that money and can buy BTC and send it to their personal wallet."

This was the mediator response:

“well we are all ‘exchange operators’ as users of the bisq exchange network, while most are individuals some are also using business accounts… just because you recognize the name of someone that doesn’t mean anything special. however, you do raise some good points, I will ask the other trade party to verify to me they are actually part of that exchange, but you can’t really cancel a bisq trade unless both parties agree or there is some proof of fraud. i will investigate”

“your trade counterparty proved to me that they are affiliated with the XXXX exchange, I sent them an email there and they were able to confirm the contents, so I don’t see any evidence of fraud. so… you are obligated to complete the trade using the bisq trade protocol as agreed by the parties.”

So I was obligated by the mediator to complete the trade.

I sent the payment, and I hope everything ends well, but I’m not satisfied at all.

I was obligated to trade with an exchange I would have never voluntarely chosen, and for me this defeats entirely the purpose of bisq.

I have nothing against the people at the other side of my trade (the Polish Exchange), probably they are honest people involved in promoting bitcoin, but I came to bisq seeking privacy, if I’ve wanted to buy at an Exchange I would have gone to Kraken which has lower prices and is much more fast and convenient than bisq.

As I said, I hope this trade ends well, and I’ll receive soon the BTC I’ve paid for, but I also like the bisq team to think a solution to this case and apply a fix to avoid this kind of unwanted trades to happen in the future.

1 Like