AML5D and how it affects Bisq

It has been brought to my attention, that for SEPA payments, a directive imposes to strictly follow AML regulations when there’s a cumulative 10k€ or more in transactions between two entities, individuals included.
Since this could affect the platform in a way that users might better be informed about it beforehand, I have searched for information about “AML5D” and I wasn’t too much satisfied by the sources, in some places cash transfers were mentioned (so it shouldn’t involve bank transfers), somewhere else the 10k€ limit was mentioned for art and real estate dealers, somewhere else yet, it was “individuals”… has anyone, who’s more knowledgeable, the means to explain the situation in layman terms, and also how this affects Bisq users who, as reported on this forum as well, happen to trade consecutively with same pairs of buyer/seller, possibly reaching the 10k€ total amount?
I feel this is an interesting topic as SEPA is one of the most widely used payment methods.

I think it is a good idea for traders that use Bisq a lot either to buy / sell BTC to have multiple bank accounts. That way the fiat volume is spread over multiple accounts.

I think banks have to report on the balances of users accounts at specific points but not on the volume of transfers in and out.

Also if the bank gives you a debit card attached to it always a good idea to make the occasional purchase. This is one of the ways banks make their money and regular debit card spending is better than a series of in/out transfers.

I think what this directive means, is that no matter the means used to transfer money, when individual A and individual B make transaction between them for a total which is above 10,000€, then they are subject to AMLD5.
Also, it is possible this is not so clean cut, as in, you are expected to behave like that, but the single, occasional event where you pass that limit will still not trigger a specific check?
This is just something that I thought might be useful to divulge

1 Like