Bech32 address support

I can’t send BTC from Bisq to a Wasabi wallet…are there plans to support Bech32 addresses?

Wasabi is a really good privacy wallet that would go hand in hand with Bisq.

Sure, devs would love to support bech and segwit, but due to some technical reasons, that isn’t really possible at the moment.

Currently lack of developers is really our main problem. We could change Bisq’s Bitcoin wallet implementation to Bitcoin Core, if we had devs that can look into it.

Bisq uses the bitcoinj library.
And bitcoinj doesn’t actually support bech32 addresses.
afaiu, this is the point.

But yes, wasabi seems indeed an interesting developement.

Is it possible to send from Wasabi to Bisq?

Add me to the list of users hoping to get support for Bech32!

As long as Wasabi supports sending bitcoins to regular Bitcoin addresses, it should be fine.
I assume wallets should always support sending coins to legacy addresses, after all, they are still most used.

I sort-of-kind-of found a workaround for this with Electrum (which apparently won’t generate non-Bech32 addresses). I fire up a client that uses 1* style addresses and then import the keys. This way I can use Electrum to suck the balance out of Bisq, and then use Electrum’s full feature set to send them on to somewhere else. Keep in mind if you do this your Electrum seed phrase won’t restore the imported addresses, so I immediately re-spend the balance to wherever it was going to.

For example, the mobile client Jaxx can display the private key, K…blahblah… In Electrum, create a new wallet from the by restoring from the private key. If you want more addresses, the Electrum Python console can take them in with the command importprivkey(“K…blahblah…”).

Bitcoin core (just set the proxy to something that doesn’t exist, port 9999 or whatever, if you don’t want to download the 200 GB blockchain) by default produces 3* style addresses, but Electrum imports them to 1* style addresses, so I worry about losing coins if I do that. The console command
getnewaddress “” “legacy”
will get you an old-style 1* address and then dumpprivkey on it. When Electrum imports that you get the same 1* address Bitcoin Core was showing.