Bisq 1.7.2 silently crashing 1 minute after start

I just updated to the latest version, but I believe the same problem was happening in the old version as well.

I’m using it on Windows 10 Pro 64, I have 64GB of RAM (just in case someone thinks it’s lack of memory).

Here is how it goes:
I run Bisq, type my password and it loads fine (I can see the market offers and everything else) but after a minute or so it closes without errors or warnings.

Here is the log file, I can’t see any obvious errors on it.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

@IcaruJ thanks for opening this issue.

Looks likes it is failing to connect.

Jul-27 22:57:04.213 [BlockingClient network thread for 4nnuyxm5k5tlyjq3.onion/:8333] ERROR o.b.n.BlockingClient: Error trying to open/read from connection: 4nnuyxm5k5tlyjq3.onion/:8333: Connect timed out
Jul-27 22:57:04.213 [BlockingClient network thread for jiuuuislm7ooesic.onion/:8333] ERROR o.b.n.BlockingClient: Error trying to open/read from connection: jiuuuislm7ooesic.onion/:8333: Connect timed out
Jul-27 22:57:04.214 [BlockingClient network thread for orsy2v63ecrmdj55.onion/:8333] ERROR o.b.n.BlockingClient: Error trying to open/read from connection: orsy2v63ecrmdj55.onion/:8333: Connect timed out
Jul-27 22:57:04.214 [BlockingClient network thread for m3yqzythryowgedc.onion/:8333] ERROR o.b.n.BlockingClient: Error trying to open/read from connection: m3yqzythryowgedc.onion/:8333: Connect timed out
Jul-27 22:57:04.214 [BlockingClient network thread for 4nnuyxm5k5tlyjq3.onion/:8333] INFO o.b.c.PeerGroup: [4nnuyxm5k5tlyjq3.onion]:8333: Peer died (3 connected, 3 pending, 7 max)
Jul-27 22:57:04.214 [BlockingClient network thread for jiuuuislm7ooesic.onion/:8333] INFO o.b.c.PeerGroup: [jiuuuislm7ooesic.onion]:8333: Peer died (3 connected, 2 pending, 7 max)
Jul-27 22:57:04.214 [BlockingClient network thread for orsy2v63ecrmdj55.onion/:8333] INFO o.b.c.PeerGroup: [orsy2v63ecrmdj55.onion]:8333: Peer died (3 connected, 1 pending, 7 max)
Jul-27 22:57:04.214 [BlockingClient network thread for m3yqzythryowgedc.onion/:8333] INFO o.b.c.PeerGroup: [m3yqzythryowgedc.onion]:8333: Peer died (3 connected, 0 pending, 7 max)

Please try reconnecting again and let me know if it is still an issue.

1 Like

@Pazza hey thanks for looking into that. It is still happening, I tried the “DELETE SPV FILE AND RESYNC” solution (I remember reading in the helper guides this suggestion) and after the long time it took to resync again after it start it took 2 minutes or so and it closed by itself again without any error messages. Anything else I should try?

Hi thanks for the message.

It might be related to the Java Heap Space error: Java Heap Space error · Issue #5550 · bisq-network/bisq · GitHub

This was causing a lot of sudden crashes in the last few months.

Please can you access your Bisq.cfg

1. Using notepad open the file Bisq.cfg located in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Bisq\app

If you can let me know what it says that would be great.

For 1.7.2 I would have mine set to:

[Application]
app.classpath=$APPDIR\desktop-1.7.2-all.jar
app.mainclass=bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppMain

[JavaOptions]
java-options=-Xss1280k
java-options=-XX:MaxRAM=64g
java-options=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
java-options=–module-path
java-options=$APPDIR\mods

[JVMOptions]
-Dprism.order=sw

Awesome, here are the contents of my Bisq.cfg file

[Application]
app.classpath=$APPDIR\desktop-1.7.2-all.jar

[JavaOptions]
java-options=-Xss1280k
java-options=-XX:MaxRAM=8g
java-options=-XX:+UseG1GC
java-options=-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10
java-options=-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=5
java-options=-XX:+UseStringDeduplication
java-options=--module-path
java-options=$APPDIR\mods

Also happening on Fedora 33 Linux, but it runs for hours syncing SPV, until it crashes.
On next start, it begins syncing from the beginning again somewhere in the 400k height range, rather than picking up where it crashed.

No Bisq.cfg file that I find on Linux.

I am not a Linux user but from the wiki here Running from the command line - Bisq Wiki

Looks like it could be found here:

/opt/bisq/bin/Bisq

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, in Linux is not in the home directories.
So, I think will be replaced with whatever again, when next updated.

[Application]
app.classpath=$APPDIR/desktop-1.7.2-all.jar

[JavaOptions]
java-options=-Xss1280k
java-options=-XX:MaxRAM=8g
java-options=-XX:+UseG1GC
java-options=-XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=10
java-options=-XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=5
java-options=-XX:+UseStringDeduplication
java-options=--module-path
java-options=$APPDIR/mods

So, is the meaning that this app crashes if it can’t get 8GB of RAM just to sync SPV?

Update: crashes almost immediately even trying to create a new data directory.

With old one, finally stopped crashing, but stops syncing SPV somewhere in 500k range, and must be killed to restart. Then it just begins to resync again from some checkpoint in 400k range.

From beginning this app as someone said “has had the stability and memory management of Windows 3.1”, but recent versions unfortunately not even that good. :frowning:

I guess, have to wait until some future version to use again.

I tried this configuration (after backing up the original) but Bisq doesn’t even open with these settings.

@IcaruJ Sorry to hear that has not fixed it. I would recommend creating an issue here for the devs to have a look at: Issues · bisq-network/bisq · GitHub

1 Like