Bisq SPV Error

Hello,

I haven’t been able to get into my Bisq Wallet for days now.

I get a SPV error everytime I open Bisq despite having followed the prompt to delete the SPV file and reboot.

When I follow these steps then Bisq goes on to try and connect at which I point I receive a prompt to delete Outdated Tor Files and restart…However, I do this and half the time Bisq hangs forever and I have to force close it or I am able to shut it down correctly and the process starts all over again when I restart.

I’m hoping this is fixable without losing my data or I can at least have the chance to back up my files and see data if the problem is unfixable.

Hello,

Here are the locations of the directory to backup depending on your OS:

• Mac OSX: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Bisq
  • Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Bisq
  • Windows 7,8,10: C:\Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\Bisq
  • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Bisq

Which Bisq version do you use ? with which OS ?
Do you have issues with your internet connection ? or issues with Tor in your country ?

You can already prepare a copy of the logfile for the period corresponding to this issue.
It may be needed in order to debug what’s happening.

2 Likes

Windows 7

Bisq .80

I am in Colombia but I’ve had Bisq work for me here in the past. Maybe it’s only blocked by certain providers here?

I did try to connect via the mobile hotspot of my US based ATT phone also with no luck. When I go this route it does say that the SPV file was deleted and needs to be rebuilt. It then goes on to the Connections screen and gets about to 20% before it suggests deleting outdated tor files and restarting.

I have the Tor bridges set to obfs4 if that makes any difference.

Also, I downloaded the Tor browser and it connects just fine and I am able to browse.

So it seems Tor works just fine here

Any ideas what might be going on?

Any errors or warning in the log file?

How do I create or access the logfile?

Also, is there anyway to recover my seed file? I don’t think i ever generated one but if it’s created by default then I’d like to back it up in case I have to reinstall Bisq tk fix my issue.

Log file is the file named “bisq.log” in your data directory.

There is no seed file, seed words can be found in the app and should be written down on paper before any funds are sent to Bisq wallet. If you can’t open Bisq now and didn’t already do this, I am afraid it is too late for that now. Best you can do is recover the actual wallet files from the directory, although saving the whole directory is a better option.

Ok, is there anyway to bypass this connection error to get into the actual application and reclaim my seed words? I think I have it but not 100% it is the correct one.

Can I recover my funds with only the wallet files? I backed up the entire Bisq directory.

Here are the most recent contents of my log file

Ther is a lot here and I have no idea what is useful

Edit: removed link to log file

Removed link

Ah, also worth noting, I am running Bisq on Windows 10

Hey, I removed the link to the log file as it hurts Bisq’s privacy a bit when you share it publicly.
You can send it to Manfred via a private message to keep your privacy.

I am not sure if we can fix it, I am not sure what the problem is, especially since Tor browser works fine for you. No way that I know that you can bypass the loading screen without actually establishing a connection, would be a good feature though.

Your funds are safe though, if your wallet is intact. You should be replace it with the wallet in a newly installed Bisq client, as far as I know.

Thanks man, I apologize for the carelessness and appreciate your initiative.

How can I tell if my wallet intact? Is that simply copying the files in the bisq folder and backing them up?

Your wallet files are in ‘btc_mainnet/wallet’ folder.
You can try copying that folder to the new installation of Bisq on another computer, if you see that Bisq works properly on it first.

PS: You can also try removing spvchain file from that folder as well so that Bisq resyncs with the Bitcoin network, just in case there was any trouble with that in that file.