Can not access newly bought BSQ on imported payment account

Two days ago I bought BSQ for the first time. I used an imported altcoin payment account, because I had to migrate all my accounts from a prior (bugged) Bisq release.

Unfortunately I noticed after buying the BSQ that my internal BSQ wallet now has a different receiving address than the payment account (which originally was identical to the BSQ wallet address of the prior Bisq release). The result is that the BSQ were send to an address that is not accessible from my internal BSQ wallet.

How can I obtain access to my old receiving address and transfer the BSQ to my current internal BSQ wallet?

The BSQ wallet generates a new address as soon as the previous one is used. It may be that your VPN is causing connection issues.
https://bisq.community/t/solved-what-happened-to-my-bsq/8124/11

When you migrate to new Bisq release you need to send all BSQ from old wallet to new wallet.

You need to revive your old version of Bisq to access your BSQ. Copy your current BSQ receiving address so you can send from old version to new version.

1 Like

If you didn’t move the data directory, the new release will manage your BSQ wallet (and BTC wallet) as usually. There is absolutely no need to revive an old version.
huey’s answer is the right one, each time a transaction occurs in Bisq (being BTC or BSQ) a new address is used (this is the standard good way to proceed with cryptos).
DAO/BSQ wallet displays the total amount of your wallet.
The details of the transactions are in DAO/BSQ wallet/transactions.

Of course, if you moved your data repo, things can be different (and messy).

No, huey’s answer is not the right one. There are no synchronization issues.

Using an old data backup and the current Bisq version, the BSQ are displayed. Hopefully I will succeed in moving them to the new wallet address.

I think the fact that when exporting/importing BSQ payment accounts their corresponding receiving addresses are lost is a quite significant bug and should be fixed.

1/ You seem to make a confusion between the Bisq software versions (v1.1.0 , v1.1.1, etc) and your own personal data directory “versions”.
2/ the only sure way to have or recover 100% of your personal Bisq data is to deal directly with the good data directory

If (voluntarily or not) you begin to use the Bisq software with differents data directories (let’s say A, then B), and you do txs or withdrawals, this technically comes down to realize a fork of your wallet. Of course, this will be a mess.
Your BTC or BSQ are still well on the blockchain on their addresses … but the wallet A cannot know the new addresses generated with wallet B, and reciprocally.
The only sure way to repair such a fork is to return to the oldest wallet and do your best to rapatriate the most recent operations in it.
And of course, be very careful not to add one more wallet fork, which will only add more mess.

No Homard, there’s no confusion on my side. Apparently you did not read/understand correctly the circumstances of the problem.

Badha5h provided the correct answer.

Your comments are irrelevant to the problem:

Exporting/Importing an (previously unused) BSQ payment account does not export/import its corresponding payment address. Therefore the account is unusable (i.e. payments cannot be received in the current wallet) if a new data directory is used.

This clearly deviates from user expectation and must therefore be considered a bug.

I’m not completely clear on what has happened so I will explain how the BSQ wallet works.

It’s using the same seed as the bitcoin wallet in Bisq but using a different derivation path. This means that you will get a new BSQ wallet if you move to a new Bisq directory and don’t use the seed from the old one. If that is intended the BSQ from the old wallet can be sent to the new one under the DAO tab. To keep the old BSQ wallet it has to be recovered using the seed from the original directory.

The BSQ address that’s displayed as a receiving address for the BSQ wallet is always an unused address. If coins have been sent to that address, a new one will be shown next time the tab is opened.

Altcoin accounts are only set up as information about the altcoin wallet. BSQ is also considered an altcoin in this case and the BSQ wallet needs to be managed as any other altcoin. This could perhaps be improved by autogenerating a BSQ altcoin account corresponding to the current BSQ wallet. It’s not possible to recover the BSQ wallet from the account information.

1 Like

I think BSQ should go the other way and be treated more like BTC inside Bisq. It should be a base currency and don’t require a static address to be put in the Altcoin account. It also needs better coin control.

2 Likes

Thanks for the very clear description.
The problem from the users side of view is that the BSQ wallet is an integral part of Bisq. There’s no known external BSQ wallet apart from Bisq (correct me, if I’m wrong).

From the user’s point of view, exporting payment accounts serves as a kind of backup. So a user would expect that he could use the backed up payment account with whatever new installment of Bisq.

I think Bisq software should either
a) backup full BSQ wallet recovery information
b) warn on import, that an imported BSQ account can not be used to receive BSQ with the new wallet
edit: c) force creation of a new BSQ account and block the old one from active use

1 Like

I finally understand your point. It is indeed a poor design on Bisq’s part. A BSQ Altcoin account would keep the address from the old wallet just like a SEPA account would keep the same IBAN. But these two don’t behave the same way.

1 Like