Can't send to everyone with clearXchange?

It seems that if your institution hasn’t joined clearXchange, you can only send to accounts in Bank of America, Chase, and US Bank. At least that’s what I’m seeing. Or does everyone have this restriction (the wording could be interpreted this way)? I’m thinking this would be a problem if the seller has an account with another bank. Am I correct in thinking this means it can’t be used with Bitsquare by such a buyer?

clearXchange states that everyone with a US bank account can make and receive payments via cXc. If your bank is part of the network (250 million US accounts) you can use cXc via your banking website. If it’s not, you have to use the cXc website for transfers.

As I understand it, cXc can be used by everyone with a US bank account.

But what it’s telling me, when I go to add someone, is that only those with accounts with the banks I listed above are “eligible recipients”:

At this time, you can use clearXchange.com to send money to customers registered with Bank of America, Chase or U.S. Bank. As more of our network banks support this feature, you will be able to add their customers as recipients.

I’m not saying their claims that anyone can send and that anyone can receive are false, but those are two separate things and do not imply that anyone can send to anyone. And unfortunately, it seems not to be the case. I suppose if my account were with one of their network banks, I could send to anyone. But then, I wouldn’t be going through their web site to make transfers. So the statement quoted above is another way to put it.

I’m not sure if clearXchange covers everyone, but I have access to clearXchange through my CapitalOne account. I’ve used it to buy and sell BTC via bitsquare.

You access it through CapitalOne’s online banking, as opposed to directly on clearxchange.com?

Could anyone find out the details how ClearXchange is supported by different banks? I get quite a few disputes where people cannot send bc banks are complaining the recipient cannot receive money via clearXChange, even in cases where the peer has already used it. So seems some combinations of banks are problematic.

Everyone with a US bank account and address can sign-up for an account at cXc.

People need to sign up with cXc in order to send and receive money through cXc network.

Network banks:

Bank of America
Capital One P2P Payments
Chase QuickPay℠
FirstBank Person to Person Transfers
Frost Send Money
U.S. Bank Send Money
Wells Fargo SurePay℠

If you are an eligible sender you can send to eligible receivers and vice versa.

They clearly say that:

cXc … allows people … to … send money to anyone or receive money from anyone with a U.S. bank account.

Edit: Reasons for disputes might be ‘user error’, as in not making a cXc account or something else. (can’t test obv.) or fucking banks being fucking banks :slight_smile:

Edit 2: Link to info: https://www.clearxchange.com/faqs

Well said :wink:

Edit: Reasons for disputes might be ‘user error’, as in not making a cXc account or something else. (can’t test obv.) or fucking banks being fucking banks :slight_smile:

I’m going to go with the latter. I already made an account, and it tells me I can’t send to everyone.

It’s a shame because if there are too many disputes we can’t keep using it. It seemed like a good alternative to wires and ACH.

@ddawson

So did you try to send to someone with an cXc account and it won’t let you?

No. I wasn’t about to try it until I at least knew a little more. I went as far as signing up (at which time I noticed the thing about being able to send to just those three banks) and confirming my checking account. Then I went through the motions of adding a recipient to see what it said, and saw that it’s still restricted in that way.

I think the percentage of issues in relation to successful trades is still ok. But we should find out why so many people have issues and add more info to the account setup.
Also we should check out other “same bank to same bank” transfers. Hope the banks are at least able to handle that in a reliable way :-).
Understand better why Bitcoin is so revolutionary for banks :-).

I think the percentage of issues in relation to successful trades is still ok. But we should find out why so many people have issues and add more info to the account setup.
Also we should check out other “same bank to same bank” transfers. Hope the banks are at least able to handle that in a reliable way :-).
Understand better why Bitcoin is so revolutionary for banks :-).

Like whether sending is restricted (for buy offers) or which bank one uses (for sell offers)?

Oh, I don’t know. Maybe because it’s actual 21st-century technology?

Yes, when I use clearXchange through my CapitalOne account, it opens another browser tab to Capital One P2P Payments, and I log in with my CapitalOne credentials. At that point, I can send a payment to anyone in the US banking system, if I have either their phone number or email address. I’ve bought bitcoin once or twice this way, and sold them multiple times using clearXchange via CapitalOne.

I paid my sister-in-law for some stuff over Christmas, and she received an email notice, set up an account on clearXchange’s website (or perhaps through her bank - I’m not sure) and was able to receive the money.

Hmm, if Chase QuickPay is part of clearXchange, can we combine those two payment methods in Bitsquare? Currently, I can’t accept Chase QuickPay offers in Bitsquare, but if they’re part of clearXchange, why not?

I’m inclined to try creating a “Chase QuickPay” account in my Bitsquare, create two offers, one to sell and one to buy a small amount of bitcoin, see if I can send and receive the payments, and report back here. Thoughts on whether that’s the best way to test this or not?

There’s a chance my brain’s gonna explode over this :wink:

Please correct me if I’m wrong. The two payment methods are already combined if you choose clearXchange as payment method. So, you make a cXc account in Bitsquare and pay your trading peer via Chase QuickPay.

There’s no reason. I think we should get rid of Chase QuickPay as PM and explain via UI that if you want to use it, you should use cXc. This would have the advantage that there are more offers summarized under one PM.

I have no better way in mind to test it. I myself can’t test it because I’m in Europe. It should work, I guess.

So, reporting back… I added Chase QuickPay as a payment method in Bitsquare, even though I don’t have a Chase bank account, sold 0.01 bitcoin, and received payment via my clearXchange Capital One account.

The only thing to note was that the deposit transaction took too long, arriving after the trade duration had expired, so I had to involved the arbitrator to finalize the payout transaction. However, my trading peer had sent me the money, so once it arrived in my bank account, I had the arbitrator issue the payout transaction: the trading peer got his bitcoin and we both got our security deposits back.

I definitely support folding Chase QuickPay into clearXchange, especially if that would mean there’s a little more trade duration time allowed for transactions to clear, since they’re moving between US banks rather than only within Chase’s system.

Plus, fiat banks are so 20th century.