Downloading Bisq on Mac - El Capitan - 10.11.6

Hi There,

I have downloaded the dmg file to install Bisq on my Mac (10.11.1) and whilst it appears to have downloaded all ok, I’m not able to open it. I’m wondering if anyone may know what the solution is? I have downloaded twice to see if maybe I got it wrong the first time, and still no luck. Bisq is perfectly in my Applications folder but when I double click on it to open the application, nothing at all happens.

I’m hoping someone may be able to assist.

Thank you so much,
Heidi :slight_smile:

I am not familiar with Mac myself, but if you don’t get it to work eventually, you could always try building from source, it shouldn’t be that difficult.

Thank you for your reply alexej996 but I have no idea on how you would build from source. I’m not a tecchie person at all unfortuantely :frowning: If I can’t get Bisq to work, I may have to look for an alternative to Bisq unfortunately. Cheers.

I’m not aware of a single one :slight_smile:

I’d recommend you download and install Bisq again and see if that helps.

If you want to dig deeper, here are the instructions to build from source: https://github.com/bisq-network/exchange/blob/master/doc/build.md

In 99% of all cases Bisq works out-of-the-box.

Have you checked your security settings in preferences? Maybe you have selected there that you only allow apps from the app store? Try to change that to signed apps instead. Right click opening Bisq should work then.

Thank you so much Manfred. Yes I had checked the security settings to ensure that apps from ‘Anywhere’ could be downloaded and still no luck :frowning:

Also tried right clicking on the app and opening it that way (instead of double clicking on it) and no luck doing that either unfortuanately :frowning:

Many thanks,

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. I’ve tried downloading and installing Bisq 3 x times so far without any success in getting it to open unfortunately.

I’m looking for a service to Buy and Sell Bitcoin so I may have to use a different platform even though a colleague recommended Bisq.

Thank you for the link to building from source but I think that might be a bit beyond my capabilities not being very technical.

Thank you for your help though I really appreciate it.

Cheers,