I think I misunderstood the nature of the Bisq exchange

I came here thinking that Bisq must have somehow enabled people to trade directly from their own wallet to another person’s wallet, like Etherdelta, or MyEtherwallet / MyCrypto for example.

I imagined that this would require some kind of escrow, in this Bisq coin that I had not heard of.

I was looking for some software to develop, that would enable me to create an exchange for another coin, so was hoping this Bisq package would enable me to specify which coin I want people to use as the intermediary currency, that is, obviously one that is fast and cheap and possibly a privacy coin.

Trying to understand who is the arbitrator. We can define this for our own instance of this software?
Is the entire platform basically in each client node, so it is distributed?

I have not downloaded or tried Bisq yet, but I am already reading about people who say they have lost money, and that’s exactly what I do not want to happen. I want people to feel comfortable and safe using 1776 Token, for example, through a decentralised P2P exchange that keeps everyone safe, and it easy to use, otherwise I’m sure we’ll all have to use more centralised exchanges!

No funds have been lost via Bisq. At worst, folks have lost trading fees and/or mining fees due to bugs, and in most cases we’ve refunded those fees.

Any token that meets a few basic requirements can get listed on Bisq by following the instructions at https://bisq.network/list-token. No need to develop your own software here.

Arbitrators are individual contributors on the Bisq network. There are currently two arbitrators available (I am one of them). You can see these and whitelist / blacklist which ones you want to deal with in Account->Arbitrator Selection in Bisq.

I recommend downloading the client and getting to know Bisq. Also, consider reading through at least the first several sections of the https://bisq.network/phase-zero doc to build a correct mental model of what Bisq is all about.

1 Like