Interac eTransfer Chargeback in Canada

lndn: what is the difference between ‘returned’ and ‘awarded’ please?

All bank based payment methods can do chargeback in case of criminal activity (e.g. stolen accounts). Even if some do not do chargeback (or at least states so) they will likley close one’s account if they swallow the chargeback and report such users to Bank internal blacklists. The stolen bank account scam is a serious one and Bisq need to be safe enough so that such scammers cannot use Bisq (see 3 new proposals we are working on: https://github.com/bisq-network/proposals/issues/77, https://github.com/bisq-network/proposals/issues/78, https://github.com/bisq-network/proposals/issues/79). We blocked Interact as we do not want to risk that more chargebacks can happen before we have rolled out the new protection tools.

Regarding traders KYC: That is a very dangerous path IMO (I know its common on LBTC). Identity theft can be worse then money theft. The scammer (as seller) could collect that way lots of ID documnets and seel those on black markets or use it himself for criminal activities. Beside that it requires some skills and education and would be quite cumbersome. So that is nothing we are planning to implement.

2 Likes

@LndnTrader
Sorry to hear about the issues. Can I ask which onion address caused the chargeback? I completed a trade with one of the listed addresses but have no issues to report. Hope everything is resolved soon!

LBTC = Lightning BTC or LiteBTC ? or else.

LocalBitcoins

Please open a dispute with cmd+o or ctrl+o!!! Do NOT release the BTC in any case! PM me the trade details and the json data of the trade (click on trade ID)

I don’t have a reason to open a dispute. Trade was completed 3 weeks ago. I would just like to know if the possible scammer can cause me issues with the bank later.

I see the threat,m but I’ve done many e-transfers.
I understand locking it, but I regularly deal with the same people over and over, I would like it if you limited it to people with XX valid trades?

Also you could set the release window on E transfers to 72hrs? maybe longer. once the seller says payment made. anything after that period should be safer.
Just sad to see this option go :frowning: Nothing else really works in canada.

With next release we add more protection tools and Interac will be enabled again. For now we cannot block or restict on a fine grained level.

1 Like

Any eta on when that will be?

Probably 2 weeks will be necessary.

a) interesting point to me on the dangerous path of requesting ID from the other person
b) what about enabling an option for something like double-deposit escrows to minimize the profitability of theft?

Any update to this? Is it now safe to do etransfers? Should we be asking for photos/proof or what should we be doing if the buyer has a brand new account or is buying at a suspiciously good price?

Okay. I trade with Interac payments too and I’m very curious about these chargebacks.

If you send me an e-transfer, I receive an email notifying me of the transfer. At this point the e-transfer can easily be reversed by you for a fee of $3.50.

But once I have deposited the transfer into my account, AFAIK the transfer can no longer be reversed.

In fact I tested this and I called my bank after I sent a transfer to a friend. I asked them to reverse or chargeback the transfer. They were very clear that they can’t do that since my friend had already deposited the transfer. They told me it can only be reversed if the receiver has not yet deposited it into his account.

So do you know how those e-transfers were reversed?