Partner refusing to release my BTC after I sent zelle

I traded with a partner via zelle, I sent payment but the BTC seller is refusing to send my BTC because he says he hasnt checked his bank account, honestly how long does it take to check bank balance? he is holding my coins for a whole day over this.
How do I not ever deal with them again?

They have until the end of the trade period to release BTC; I understand this can be frustrating since you already sent your money; they did, however, send their BTC even before that, as the escrow asks of the seller to lock the whole amount of the trade + the deposit.
If for any reason the seller will not have released the BTC before the trade period ends, you will be able to open mediation and receive part of their security deposit together with the trade amount, so it is also in their own best interest to release in time.
I think you can feel safe about this trade.

1 Like

Piggy backing on this thread to ask a question that came to mind. Would love to read opinions from others as well.

As the position of a BTC seller, I feel it would be considered best practice to release your BTC as close to the end of the trade period (i.e. 96 hours) as possible. But I can relate to the frustrations like OP experience. Is this the mindset of most sellers on bisq? Generally speaking, if the buyer’s account is signed and aged 60+ days, are sellers releasing BTC shortly after USD payment is received or are there any other particular reasons that make sellers justify waiting to the end of the trade period to release?

It would also be neat to see some data on this since bisq has logs of trading activity. A table in the wiki that shows, by payment method, what the typical length of time for BTC to get released could be useful in setting expectations for users.

Regarding the last part of your question, you can add your suggestion at Discussions · bisq-network/bisq · GitHub

For the first part, it’s down to user preference, I’ve seen it all during my trading, but I believe communication is key: as long as the seller is friendly in trader chat, and makes it clear they received the money, and are waiting to release because it’s their policy to do so, and explain why, then the buyer should feel at ease. For those who cannot deal with the “frustration” of staying in a limbo for a few days, well, that can be a problem but still boils down to personal shortcomings :slight_smile:
The trading process makes it clear that if the seller is late, they will pay a penalty, so the buyer should actually hope they are late in releasing :laughing:

2 Likes

Totally :laughing:

That’s fair - I know LocalBitcoins allows users to add personalized trade terms/policy in free-text that appear in the offer form. There could be a good use case to include something like this as part of the payment account setup process.

e.g.

• if your acct is unsigned, BTC to be released 72hrs+
  • if your acct is signed and <60 days, BTC to be released 48hrs+
  • if your acct is signed and >60 days, BTC to be released asap

Not only does this help set expectations between buyer and seller, it also gives a seller an opportunity to be more personable and differentiate their offering from other sellers in the market. In bisq’s current state, setting the price, min/max, and deposits are sufficient variables for an offer to be competitive as there is typically <100 concurrent offerings per payment method active at a time. But if/when bisq grows to have >1000 or even >10,000 offerings active at a time, it’s extremely probable that at least two or more active offerings will have exactly the same (if not, identical) price, min/max, and deposit requirement. I dunno, maybe I’m in the minority that cares about this sort of thing. I’ll get around to adding this suggestion to github eventually.

1 Like

There were other discussions about this feature in the past that I recall, they all were basically closed because “terms of sepa payment methods are standard, you don’t really need to add anything special in there”, which is also true, as rules in general are clear both for buyers and seller, and generally published in the wiki.
Your example though is one that I find practical.

1 Like