Paying fees for timeout errors

Hi everyone,

While using Bisq for the first time and trying to create a ‘new offer to sell BTC for EUR’ I got a timeout error that basically rounded down my available BTC balance to three decimal places.

I’m talking about 0.0001192 BTC that magically disappeared… I’m sure most people wouldn’t bother to complain about losing around 1 EUR, but for me this almost seems like a matter of principle.

I can’t open a dispute with cmd+o because I have no trade IDs in the portfolio, so my only option was to create a username with my email and log in to the Bisq (or should it be GitHub?) community.

This of course reduces my anonymity and defeats the whole purpose of supporting a platform such as Bisq. If want to be charged by random fees, lose my privacy and waste time dealing with customer support bureaucracy, I might as well use a regular bank account with fiat money.

Anyway, apparently the maker fee is now missing. How can I get the fee back? Do I need to post a screenshot, log, address? Should I wait to be contacted by someone who can evaluate my claim?

Furthermore, if I try to create a ‘new offer to sell BTC for EUR’, what’s the probability of this happening again? 1 in 10? 1 in 100? 1 in a 1000…?

Have you tried to restart the software? Do you see this offer you tried to create under Portfolio > Open trades?

Please create an issue on Issues · bisq-network/bisq · GitHub and share your debug.log file so devs can see what went wrong.
You can request a reimbursement for your fees following this template.

This of course reduces my anonymity and defeats the whole purpose of supporting a platform such as Bisq. If want to be charged by random fees, lose my privacy and waste time dealing with customer support bureaucracy, I might as well use a regular bank account with fiat money.

You can create a new email to deal with Bisq. You can also suggest and help Bisq migrate to new platforms of a more anonymous nature.

Furthermore, if I try to create a ‘new offer to sell BTC for EUR’, what’s the probability of this happening again? 1 in 10? 1 in 100? 1 in a 1000…?

It’s hard to know without knowing the issue.

Bisq collects the trading fee on the moment of making/taking offers to combat a myriad of risks. Although it isn’t perfect, I consider it the correct way to move forward.

Regarding support and reporting issues/bugs. I agree that currently the infrastructure is too disperse and that Arbitrators/Mediators/Support Staff should be reachable in on single place. There are talks to move to Keybase, so maybe that’s the place to go. I do like the transparency of Github’s issues but also understand the privacy concerns.

Most issues can be handled within the app, but sometimes we will always need to step outside and there we can’t protect people’s privacy for them. They need to be able to protect their privacy themselves if they want to report a bug outside of the app.

It isn’t a matter of somebody forgeting about this, this is just the only way. If the app experiences an error and can’t report an issue on it’s own, you can either igonore it or report it outside of the app.

We could remove email requirement from the forum or make a submission form on a website, but that would open us up to spam attacks. We could add captchas and stuff, but then you have the same issue of requiring extra work from users to submit an error.

There isn’t a perfect solution, bugs happen either way. We can help improve the software to fix these bugs, make forms easier to fill, but at the end of the day bugs always happen no matter what software you use.