Postal delivery - Registered Mail International

I think that it can be interesting to even add the cash delivery through postal services, at least in Europe.

With the Registered Mail service (in Italy it costs 5.95 eur), it can be sure of the sending and that the receiver will receive the mail.

I’m not sure how much it is secure, but I see it as a good not easily traceable way :slight_smile:

Italy example:

cash in mail is also a option that should be ofc in bitsquare, is it already or not ?

How does the sender prove he actually included anything in the enevelope / package?

why is this necessary if someone sends me a empty enevelope i dont release funds :slight_smile:

@sdc
How is it possible for the receiver to prove that the envelope was empty and not that he emptied before “recording” the proof?

I see the problem.

@BitConcerned
A least it is needed that everytime the envelope was sent intact.

Anyway, I think that it’s interesting to see if this way is viable :slight_smile:

EDIT:
There is also the “international money order” (always through postal service) , active at least in Europe it seems, but it is more traceable than the common mail.

@sdc

Then the boot is on the other foot. :wink:

The sender does indeed send you the funds, however, you can say you didn’t receive any at all.

How do you prove who’s telling the truth?

I’d rather trust private drone delivery than go anywhere near the Post Office.

haha sorry, now i realized i thought it the other way. But yea this is a good question, on Localbitcoins and other shops it does work also… sure the buyer is at risk… everytime and everywhere, but you can minimal the risk. And this works best with a good reputation system, thats why amazon, ebay and other marketplaces are adopted. Because its good for the conscience to have experience reports, sure you can still scam after you traded 500 times, but it isnt worth it, unless you would exit scam, But still only 1 is damaged instead of many (centralized)

I’ve asked to my postal service, and they suggested me to use the assured mail.
The assured mail solution is good because the postal service make more checks on the integrity of the envelope/package, because it is in their interest to avoid being scammed them self (example: assured empty mails)

I don’t know if the assured mail service is available everywhere, but I’m enough sure that it is available in all European countries.

I think that it should be added as a payment system.
Maybe users should be able to indicate (if they want) where are they sending from, so the receiver can choose to accept only mail from their same country.

If the mail arrive from a different country from the one indicated (so the sender has lied), even before opening it the receiver can ask the intervention of the arbiter.

Insecure, and illegal in some countries. I wouldn’t send cash via the mail.

1 Like

No one should be forced to do it, but if it is possible, why not? :wink:
In italy it is possible and legal, and maybe even in other european countries.

It is illegal in 42 countries. Maybe it’s OK in Italy, but what about the destination address?

Postal sorting machinery detects the metal stripes and will reject it for manual inspection. In Australia customs have confiscated money sent this way. Also, postal workers have been known to steal it.

I think you need to find a safer solution.

[quote=“coinstash, post:12, topic:570”]
It is illegal in 42 countries
[/quote]Can you back this statement with something? :slight_smile:

There are some ways to avoid that the money can be seen through the envelope, and as I said, the “assured mail” form is the good way to add a risk for any postal workers in the middle.

Here’s my reference: http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/five-questions-about-sending-cash-overseas-6275143.html

If you’re going to send it by insured mail there’s no financial advantage from using a banking service. It may not be illegal to post cash where you live, but just about everyone would agree it’s stupid.

There is NO WAY you can confirm if it was received without registered mail that requires a signature. Convenient? No. Traceable? Yes.

[quote=“coinstash, post:14, topic:570, full:true”]
If you’re going to send it by insured mail there’s no financial advantage from using a banking service. It may not be illegal to post cash where you live, but just about everyone would agree it’s stupid.

There is NO WAY you can confirm if it was received without registered mail that requires a signature. Convenient? No. Traceable? Yes.[/quote]

It is not traceable if you don’t say to everyone that you are sending money, isn’t this obvious? :wink:

Anyway, I’ve found the page that article refers to:

It says that it is illegal in Italy, while you can see here that it is instead allowed:
https://www.poste.it/postali/italia/assicurata.shtml

So, I’m not sure about how much the page is accurate with the reality of all those countries.

It is also possible to see here that there are users that are buying/selling btc over mail :slight_smile:

https://paxful.com/ (less here)

So there is already a market (demand) for this kind of exchange.

Well good luck with that.

I see Australia is on the list too. Officially it is ‘tolerated’ here for small amounts sent between local addresses. After all, you can’t deny grandma the right to send $10.00 and a card for your birthday. But cash from international sources WILL BE CONFISCATED if found by Customs.

The Royal Mail list is accurate but they should have said “countries where it is illegal or restrictions are applied”.

I agree that sending international mails can be problematic, I thought that this way can be good for local and not traceable exchanges.

Do you have anything similar to a Postal Money Order that can be cashed at a Post Office? That would be more secure.

Yes, but this will be traceable :wink:

Registered mail is also traceable. I think this topic is worn out.