This thread should give help for those who have problems with staring up Bisq.
We got several reports specially on Windows that there are some issues.
Here is a check list for the most common reasons why Bisq might fail to start. Please check all those points if any matches your problem.
- Have you downloaded Bisq from the official download page at https://bisq.network/downloads? Your version of the operating system should get highlighted. If you install a 32 bit version on a 64 bit OS Bisq will fail.
- Do you have a Anti Virus software installed? If so did it complain at installing Bisq? We got some reports that some AV Software flagged incorrectly Bisq as Malware and that might cause some blocking by an integrated Firewall. One AV software even deleted the wallet file from the application directory!
- If the app is starting but hangs at the splash screen, check if your internet connection is OK. If so check if you have a firewall which might block Tor. By default all network traffic goes over Tor. To see if Tor is blocked you can check with Torbrowser if you can connect. Some countries, specially China is blocking Tor by their national Firewall. It requires then some technical skills to mitigate that (e.g. use a VPN).
- If none of the above helps you can always try to run from source code. Please follow exactly the step described in the build.md file for that.
- For further requests please provide as much information as possible. Sending the log file per email or PM to one of the developers will help as well. The log file is inside the data directory (see below the locations of that directory). Do not post the log file publicly as well as no screenshots which might reveal sensitive data.
- For Linux there are 2 known issues: One about a segment fault caused by a Linux Kernel update discussed here and another one which is from a bug in JDK 8 in the javafx launcher, which will be solved in openjdk 9
Once you have used Bisq and specially once you have put Bitcoin into it always make sure to have a backup of the application data directory (Account/Backup) and the wallet seed words. The wallet and the database is in the application data directory and if that gets corrupted or lost and you don’t have backups your Bitcoin would be lost as well!
The data directory (containing the log file) can be found under those locations:
- Mac OSX: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Bitsquare
- Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Bitsquare
- Windows 7,8: C:\Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitsquare
- Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Bitsquare