Running Bisq on desktop & laptop

I’m currently running Bisq on my desktop PC and would like run Bisq on my laptop when I’m away from my Desktop.
What is the best/correct way to do this with the same account?

or should I just run Bisq on my laptop? (I’d prefer not to my desktop is usually on 24/7)
If so how does one move an account from Desktop to PC most efficiently?
Thanks!

I am not sure that running the same accounts on two different devices is supported in Bisq and it could potentially lead to some problems.

If you want to transfer your accounts to a different computer however and not use the old one, then you just need to copy the data directory from your old computer to the new one.

You can find the data directory in:

• Mac OSX: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Bisq
  • Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Bisq
  • Windows 7,8,10: C:\Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\Bisq
  • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Bisq
1 Like

As @alexej996 said you need to move over the complete data directory. Be sure to not use both at the same time. Important data is stored locally so if you would make a mistake with syncing it an lead to hard to debug problems.

So…Keeping the data file in dropbox or google drive is a really bad idea?

You are exposing a lot of private information if you keep that data online. If the wallet is encrypted, then it is not necessarily critical for your funds, but still it is not a good idea.

@splinter, it’s going to be problematic and insecure to try to sync the data directory across machines. Bisq is not designed to work this way. Consider running on your desktop and using screen sharing, e.g. VNC to access it from your laptop, or run Bisq remotely on a VPS where you can access it from the laptop or desktop.

1 Like

@cbeams I think you are right, that seems to be the best way to go at the moment. Although my desktop has 3 screens and well my laptop has 1, yeah life is hell :wink:
Thanks for the recommendations and clarifying.