Sending funds within bisq1 in Segwit addresses (bech32) to another Legacy address (p2pkh). Question?

Alright! I’m using the new version of bisq1 (v1.9.17) and when I send funds from bisq to an external wallet, all the wallet inputs are segwit addresses (“bc1…”).

My question is! I want to send these funds to another wallet, but this one only accepts Legacy addresses (“1…”).

This version doesn’t have any button to select the correct network to send to, how will I know if my funds are really going to this wallet and if not, they’ll all go to the void?

Does bisq1 automatically understand and send the funds or will I need to send to another segwit address to convert to legacy?

I didn’t find this information anywhere in the documentation about the sending networks supported by bisq when sending and receiving funds, and it doesn’t even show any observation when sending if the other wallet will actually receive the funds.

I’m really worried about sending and the money going into the void.

They’re not different network, it’s just different addresses, and Bisq wallet is able to use them (the struggle was to be able to use the new segwit ones).

I don’t think this was ever a case with Bitcoin (maybe it was for a while with some bcash). If it’s not possible to send to an address it will just fail as invalid, you’ll be able to send the funds somewhere else.

1 Like

I was in a hurry! So I decided to test sending a smaller amount where I selected several “bc1xx” addresses to be sent to Legacy “1xx” and the amounts were sent successfully, checking in the mempool.
So I came to the conclusion that sending and receiving funds from bisq, be it any legacy network, segwit (1xx) (3xx) (bc1) it works normally, very interesting. A new learning! :exploding_head:

It would be very interesting to have this information in the bisq documentation :green_book:, more detailed about the compatibility of sending and receiving funds in the various bitcoin networks, just that observation. I had to test it directly in doubt. But everything worked out fine.

there are normally no such limitations in wallets, as any software supporting a version of bitcoin address, will also support all address versions older than that… bisq can be a special case as it is based on bitcoinj, which is a java library that doesn’t support 100% of the features of your average desktop wallet like electrum or sparrow, but still if a destination address is not “recognized” by bitcoinj, it will throw an exception without losing the funds, and the wallet needs to build a valid transaction to broadcast first, in any case.