Suddenly "Failed to launch JVM".- Will my BTC from open trades be lost?

Hi,

I am using BISQ for several month now, always on the same windows Server and never had any problems and I only have BISQ installed on this machine and never changed anything.

Today when I started the BISQ client it received a “Failed to launch JVM” message and the BISQ client would not start. I have approximately 0.17 BTC in that BISQ instance - and furthermore I have approximatly 6 open trades to buy approximately 0.2 BTC. I have already paid those trades and marked them as “paid”.

Now I used a very old backup of my BISQ-Folder, the client started and it is now syncing with the Blockchain (currently at 11%). I am sure my 0.17 BTC will show up in the client soon.

My question: When my trades in the “broken” BISQ installation are marked as “finished” by the BTC sellers, will I automatically receive those 0.2 BTC in my new installation? Or will I somehow need to repair the broken BISQ?

I hope you can help me.

Regards
Gandalf

P.S. I already re-installed java, nothing helped. And on that Windows machine I have other BISQ instances - I always use the parameter -appData [Path to Bisq Folder] to start the BISQ instances. Some are still working and TWO (!) Bisq instances have the same error above. Those two instances are the only ones who have open “BTC Buy trades”.

I’m afraid i can’t help much with the issues with JVM, but when the trades are confirmed by the seller, an old wallet should be able to receive this coins as they’re automatically sent to your wallet.
If seller is not releasing the funds, your trade would not be completed and you would need to submit the delayed payout. For that, you will need the data from instance that can’t start because of your issue.

Thanks!

Normally, after a BTC-Seller confirms my payment, I have to click “Move funds to BISQ wallet” and this last click then finishes the trade. As I cannot click this anymore, will the funds nevertheless be moved to my BISQ wallet so that the “backup”-Instance will receive it? Are you 100% sure?

Sorry for bothering but this really really worries me…

I had a look in the logfile ( bisq.txt ) and the error which occurs here was there never before. It seems like the BISQ client cannot handle a specific situation which occurs at TWO of my bisq instances today because there is an uncaught exception.

Can anyone tag a developer in this tread?

I would like to know: How can I recover my trades in my BISQ instances that both have “Failed to launch JVM”?

Is there any “secure boot” option for the BISQ client where uncaught exceptions are ignored? Any hints are highly appreciated!

Mai-04 10:38:41.474 [main] INFO b.c.app.Version: Version{VERSION=1.6.2, P2P_NETWORK_VERSION=1, LOCAL_DB_VERSION=1, TRADE_PROTOCOL_VERSION=3, BASE_CURRENCY_NETWORK=0, getP2PNetworkId()=10}
Mai-04 10:38:41.474 [main] INFO b.c.s.CommonSetup: Path to Bisq jar file: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Bisq\app\desktop-1.6.2-all.jar
Mai-04 10:38:41.474 [main] INFO b.c.u.Profiler: System report: Used memory: 9 MB; Free memory: 247 MB; Total memory: 256 MB; No. of threads: 1
Mai-04 10:38:41.489 [main] INFO b.c.s.CoreNetworkCapabilities: TRADE_STATISTICS [0], TRADE_STATISTICS_2 [1], ACCOUNT_AGE_WITNESS [2], PROPOSAL [5], BLIND_VOTE [6], ACK_MSG [7], RECEIVE_BSQ_BLOCK [8], DAO_STATE [9], BUNDLE_OF_ENVELOPES [10], SIGNED_ACCOUNT_AGE_WITNESS [11], MEDIATION [12], REFUND_AGENT [13], TRADE_STATISTICS_HASH_UPDATE [14], NO_ADDRESS_PRE_FIX [15], TRADE_STATISTICS_3 [16]
Mai-04 10:38:43.178 [JavaFX Application Thread] INFO b.c.p.ProvidersRepository: Excluded provider nodes from filter: nodes=[5bmpx76qllutpcyp], selected provider baseUrl=http://some_url_removed.onion/, providerList=[http://some_url_removed.onion/, http://some_url_removed.onion/, http://some_url_removed.onion/, http://some_url_removed.onion/, http://some_url_removed.onion/]
Mai-04 10:38:43.200 [AvoidStandbyModeService-thread] INFO b.c.a.AvoidStandbyModeService: Started
Mai-04 10:38:43.654 [AvoidStandbyModeService-thread] ERROR b.c.a.AvoidStandbyModeService: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No line matching interface SourceDataLine supporting format PCM_SIGNED 44100.0 Hz, 16 bit, mono, 2 bytes/frame, big-endian is supported.
Mai-04 10:38:43.839 [JavaFX Application Thread] ERROR b.c.n.p.s.DefaultSeedNodeRepository: exception in DefaultSeedNodeRepository java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: fullAddress must contain ‘:’
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:142)
at bisq.network.p2p.NodeAddress.(NodeAddress.java:51)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:195)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:177)
at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1492)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:484)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:474)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:913)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:578)
at bisq.core.network.p2p.seed.DefaultSeedNodeRepository.reload(DefaultSeedNodeRepository.java:77)
at bisq.core.network.p2p.seed.DefaultSeedNodeRepository.getSeedNodeAddresses(DefaultSeedNodeRepository.java:117)
at bisq.network.p2p.peers.PeerManager.(PeerManager.java:148)
at bisq.network.p2p.peers.PeerManager$$FastClassByGuice$$ff07a2a5.newInstance()
at com.google.inject.internal.DefaultConstructionProxyFactory$FastClassProxy.newInstance(DefaultConstructionProxyFactory.java:89)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.provision(ConstructorInjector.java:114)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.construct(ConstructorInjector.java:91)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorBindingImpl$Factory.get(ConstructorBindingImpl.java:306)
at com.google.inject.internal.ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter.get(ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter.java:40)
at com.google.inject.internal.SingletonScope$1.get(SingletonScope.java:168)
at com.google.inject.internal.InternalFactoryToProviderAdapter.get(InternalFactoryToProviderAdapter.java:39)
at com.google.inject.internal.SingleParameterInjector.inject(SingleParameterInjector.java:42)
at com.google.inject.internal.SingleParameterInjector.getAll(SingleParameterInjector.java:65)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.provision(ConstructorInjector.java:113)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.construct(ConstructorInjector.java:91)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorBindingImpl$Factory.get(ConstructorBindingImpl.java:306)
at com.google.inject.internal.ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter.get(ProviderToInternalFactoryAdapter.java:40)
at com.google.inject.internal.InternalFactoryToProviderAdapter.get(InternalFactoryToProviderAdapter.java:39)
at com.google.inject.internal.SingleParameterInjector.inject(SingleParameterInjector.java:42)
at com.google.inject.internal.SingleParameterInjector.getAll(SingleParameterInjector.java:65)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.provision(ConstructorInjector.java:113)
at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$1.get(InjectorImpl.java:1050)
at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.getInstance(InjectorImpl.java:1086)
at bisq.core.setup.CorePersistedDataHost.getPersistedDataHosts(CorePersistedDataHost.java:63)
at bisq.core.app.BisqExecutable.readAllPersisted(BisqExecutable.java:176)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppMain.readAllPersisted(BisqAppMain.java:118)
at bisq.core.app.BisqExecutable.onApplicationLaunched(BisqExecutable.java:147)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppMain.onApplicationLaunched(BisqAppMain.java:89)
at com.google.common.util.concurrent.DirectExecutor.execute(DirectExecutor.java:30)
at bisq.common.UserThread.execute(UserThread.java:62)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppMain.lambda$launchApplication$0(BisqAppMain.java:77)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqApp.start(BisqApp.java:129)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(LauncherImpl.java:919)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$11(PlatformImpl.java:449)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$9(PlatformImpl.java:418)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:417)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:175)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:844)

Mai-04 10:38:44.221 [Thread-4] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: Uncaught Exception from thread Thread-4
Mai-04 10:38:44.224 [Thread-4] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: throwableMessage= null
Mai-04 10:38:44.225 [Thread-4] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: throwableClass= class java.lang.NullPointerException
Mai-04 10:38:44.227 [Thread-4] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: Stack trace:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqApp.lambda$stop$1(BisqApp.java:153)

Mai-04 10:38:44.230 [main] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: Uncaught Exception from thread main
Mai-04 10:38:44.230 [main] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: throwableMessage= Exception in Application start method
Mai-04 10:38:44.230 [main] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: throwableClass= class java.lang.RuntimeException
Mai-04 10:38:44.245 [main] ERROR b.c.s.CommonSetup: Stack trace:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in Application start method
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:973)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$2(LauncherImpl.java:198)
Caused by: com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Unable to provision, see the following errors:

1. Error injecting constructor, java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: fullAddress must contain ‘:’
    at bisq.network.p2p.peers.PeerManager.(PeerManager.java:146)
    at bisq.network.p2p.P2PModule.configure(P2PModule.java:61) (via modules: bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppModule → bisq.core.app.CoreModule → bisq.network.p2p.P2PModule)
    while locating bisq.network.p2p.peers.PeerManager
    for the 2nd parameter of bisq.network.p2p.P2PService.(P2PService.java:136)
    at bisq.network.p2p.P2PModule.configure(P2PModule.java:60) (via modules: bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppModule → bisq.core.app.CoreModule → bisq.network.p2p.P2PModule)
    while locating bisq.network.p2p.P2PService
    for the 2nd parameter of bisq.core.account.witness.AccountAgeWitnessService.(AccountAgeWitnessService.java:169)
    at bisq.core.trade.TradeModule.configure(TradeModule.java:49) (via modules: bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppModule → bisq.core.app.CoreModule → bisq.core.trade.TradeModule)
    while locating bisq.core.account.witness.AccountAgeWitnessService
    for the 1st parameter of bisq.core.offer.OfferUtil.(OfferUtil.java:104)
    at bisq.core.offer.OfferUtil.class(OfferUtil.java:80)
    while locating bisq.core.offer.OfferUtil
    for the 1st parameter of bisq.core.offer.CreateOfferService.(CreateOfferService.java:80)
    at bisq.core.offer.CreateOfferService.class(CreateOfferService.java:57)
    while locating bisq.core.offer.CreateOfferService
    for the 2nd parameter of bisq.core.offer.OpenOfferManager.(OpenOfferManager.java:157)
    at bisq.core.offer.OfferModule.configure(OfferModule.java:36) (via modules: bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppModule → bisq.core.app.CoreModule → bisq.core.offer.OfferModule)
    while locating bisq.core.offer.OpenOfferManager

1 error
at com.google.inject.internal.InternalProvisionException.toProvisionException(InternalProvisionException.java:226)
at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$1.get(InjectorImpl.java:1053)
at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl.getInstance(InjectorImpl.java:1086)
at bisq.core.setup.CorePersistedDataHost.getPersistedDataHosts(CorePersistedDataHost.java:63)
at bisq.core.app.BisqExecutable.readAllPersisted(BisqExecutable.java:176)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppMain.readAllPersisted(BisqAppMain.java:118)
at bisq.core.app.BisqExecutable.onApplicationLaunched(BisqExecutable.java:147)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppMain.onApplicationLaunched(BisqAppMain.java:89)
at com.google.common.util.concurrent.DirectExecutor.execute(DirectExecutor.java:30)
at bisq.common.UserThread.execute(UserThread.java:62)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqAppMain.lambda$launchApplication$0(BisqAppMain.java:77)
at bisq.desktop.app.BisqApp.start(BisqApp.java:129)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$9(LauncherImpl.java:919)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$11(PlatformImpl.java:449)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$9(PlatformImpl.java:418)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$10(PlatformImpl.java:417)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:96)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication._runLoop(Native Method)
at javafx.graphics/com.sun.glass.ui.win.WinApplication.lambda$runLoop$3(WinApplication.java:175)
… 1 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: fullAddress must contain ‘:’
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkArgument(Preconditions.java:142)
at bisq.network.p2p.NodeAddress.(NodeAddress.java:51)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:195)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:177)
at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1492)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:484)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:474)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReduceOps$ReduceOp.evaluateSequential(ReduceOps.java:913)
at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.collect(ReferencePipeline.java:578)
at bisq.core.network.p2p.seed.DefaultSeedNodeRepository.reload(DefaultSeedNodeRepository.java:77)
at bisq.core.network.p2p.seed.DefaultSeedNodeRepository.getSeedNodeAddresses(DefaultSeedNodeRepository.java:117)
at bisq.network.p2p.peers.PeerManager.(PeerManager.java:148)
at bisq.network.p2p.peers.PeerManager$$FastClassByGuice$$ff07a2a5.newInstance()
at com.google.inject.internal.DefaultConstructionProxyFactory$FastClassProxy.newInstance(DefaultConstructionProxyFactory.java:89)
at com.google.inject.internal.ConstructorInjector.provision(ConstructorInjector.java:114)
at com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$1.get(InjectorImpl.java:1050)
… 19 more

Mai-04 10:56:25.475 [main] INFO b.c.u.Utilities: System info: os.name=Windows Server 2016; os.version=10.0; os.arch=amd64; sun.arch.data.model=64; JRE=10.0.2+13 (Oracle Corporation); JVM=10.0.2+13 (Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM)
Mai-04 10:56:25.615 [main] INFO b.c.a.AsciiLogo:

Check the bisq.properties file for the non-working Bisq instances. There’s a property named bannedSeedNodes. You probably have addressess that are not in the format: [ADDRESS]:[PORT]

You can try changing the format, or perhaps deleting the comma-separated list. I believe the problem stems from here: bisq/DefaultSeedNodeRepository.java at v1.6.2 · bisq-network/bisq · GitHub

The filter checks that the address string is not empty, but it does not check that it’s in the right format. So when the NodeAddress constructor is called the checkArgument fails, as shown here: bisq/NodeAddress.java at v1.6.2 · bisq-network/bisq · GitHub

1 Like

theowl, you are a legend! thanks a lot!

In the bisq.properties file I replaced:

bannedSeedNodes=sn3bsq3XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXw5abyd

with

bannedSeedNodes=

And now it works again!

I neve intentionally banned any seed nodes in the BISQ settings.

Why might this seed node be banned and how did this setting get into this file?

Does it have any disadvantage that I simply removed the banned seed node from the properties file? I didnt know how I could have changed the format…

1 Like

One of the devs added the code but it caused an error resulting in Bisq not starting. Deleting the line fixes this error.

There is no problems by removing it.