Account Age and Missing Blocks Issues

Hi,

I have a couple of issues or questions at the moment.

I am currently using a macbook running bisq.
The first time bisq was installed on the mac and an account set up was a couple of months ago (around Jan. I think).

2 days ago I started the old bisq client but I wasn’t able to reach the main screen as a freeze occurred any time I started Bisq before I could reach the main screen to update.

I then downloaded the recent bisq version and installed it. As I already had a Bisq version the new one was named Bisq 2.

The old version (Bisq) somehow worked enough now to export the account and import it into the new (Bisq2) client. I then realized that the account age is not transferred with the export/Import.

Afterwards, I updated the old client (Bisq) also to the new version. But somehow the account age at the updated first Bisq client now also shows 1 day.

I know this reads messy, as it really took me quite some time to figure out how to describe it but I also already searched for solutions and did not find anything yet. Is there a way to restore the old account age at least within the old (now updated) client?

The second issue is that even if I try to buy BTC within the new account age limit it tells me to wait until the download of missing blocks is complete.
Is there some way to get a status on the download? The laptop is running and connected to the internet already for more than 24h.

I would really appreciate your help as this is driving me nuts. Thx!

If you want to retain your account age, you also have to replace the keys directory of your new installation with those of the old installation, see this topic:

Quite honestly, I don’t get why you want a new installation. Unless there is a problem with the old one, I see absolutely no reason to make a new one.
Edit: Forgot the part about the app freezing with the old installation. But as it seems to be working again, I would forget about the second installation and focus on the old one.

Also, the two installations do have different data directories, right? Could you post their full path?

As for the block downloading issue, it would help to know what your status bar at the bottom of the application looks like. Do you have Bitcoin network peers and Bisq P2P network peers?

Thank you for your fast reply and for your help!

Yes, the issue was that the old app was freezing. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have installed the second one. So I will go with your suggestion and forget about the new one and use the old one.

Unfortunately, I haven’t played around with the directories on a Mac that much so far.
I’ve read the post you referred to but couldn’t follow, for the reason below.

Here is what I found so far:
~/Library/Application Support/Bisq

is the folder of one of the applications. I also found the btc_mainnet folder there and the sig.key file.

So far, I can’t find a second directory for the Bisq 2 app for some reason.

Could it be that the fresh installation was installed in the same directory?
I also cannot make both applications work at the same time now.

But it did work before the update of the old Bisq version. Before the update, I was able to run the old version of Bisq and the newly installed one at the same time.

Status Bar:

P2P Network Peers: 8 and that number is pretty stable. Sometimes it’s 9. but rarely below.

Bitcoin Network Peers: Between 0 and 9. That changes all the time and sometimes goes back to 0. It also constantly sais connecting to Bitcoin Mainnet / Syncronizing DAO with the green bar moving right next to it.

Let me know if screenshots would be useful.
Highly appreciate your help!

Generally, this leads to a complete mess and as such is to avoid, even more if you have no good idea about which data directory are concerned.
If you have one single data directory (which seems the case), and 2 separate Bisq applis working on this unique data directory, the mess is guaranted.
The first thing imo is to stop launching your 2 applis simultaneously, as this can only add mess over mess.

I don’t know about Mac, but on Linux and Windows Bisq would use the same data directory no matter where Bisq is installed. I guess it’s the same on Mac, so your “Bisq 2” probably used the very same directory. (But then, you would have noticed that the account was already there when you tried to import it?)

Can you try changing some setting in “Bisq 1” and see if it also changes in “Bisq 2” to confirm that they really both use the same directory?

Bitcoin Network Peers: Between 0 and 9. That changes all the time and sometimes goes back to 0. It also constantly sais connecting to Bitcoin Mainnet / Syncronizing DAO with the green bar moving right next to it.

This is pretty strange, it should constantly stay at around 8 connections. Does it ever say “Synchronized with Bitcoin Mainnet” while it has some connection? It shouldn’t have anything to do with your account age problem, though…

To make bisq use a specific data directory you have to use the command line argument userDataDir when starting bisq, ie:

–userDataDir=/home/sqrrm/bisqInstances
(changed from poorly thought through example)

Or if you just want to run two different bisq instances under the default directory, the appName argument:

–appName=bisq1

This will create a folder bisq1/ under the default data directory where this instance of bisq resides.

I would be careful with that, since on my Debian, /opt/Bisq is where the Bisq software is located.

Indeed, good point, I changed the original post.

1 Like

Can you try changing some setting in “Bisq 1” and see if it also changes in “Bisq 2” to confirm that they really both use the same directory?

As suspected it changes in both apps, so it was indeed installed in the same directory.

I guess that simply leaves me with a mess and I will deinstall and then reinstall the app (saving the current Account Export and sig.key file to not lose the 3 days count).

This is pretty strange, it should constantly stay at around 8 connections. Does it ever say “Synchronized with Bitcoin Mainnet” while it has some connection? It shouldn’t have anything to do with your account age problem, though…

Could it be related to the issue of 2 installations into the same directory?
Anyway, I will try to deinstall the apps and do a fresh install and will let you know how that turns out.

Thank you again for all your help and input!

Sounds like a good plan!

I’m really curious as to why the account age was reset, though. If your UserPayload from January was still there, the sig.key should have been, too, so I don’t think a changed sig.key is the reason for the age reset.

I found a possible explanation in the documentation:

Note: If the data would become too large we can consider a time to live mechanism where AccountAgeWitness objects need to get triggered with a refresh message to stay active. That way outdated objects which have not received any TTL signal since a long period (e.g. 6 months) would get pruned.

Does anyone know whether this has been implemented in the meantime? And if it was, what’s the exact TTL?

Short Update: After installing the app new, everything now works fine.
Connection issues are gone, did a test purchase and everything works now.

So I guess I just screwed it up by not paying attention about the directory the “new” bisq app was installed to.

Thank you all again for your help, although, there was no way resolving the account age issue.