Hey guys, I need some help. There are a number of files that need translation and I just can’t do it all alone. If you’re a native speaker of another language that would be ideal, but even someone fully literate in English can do this using Google Translate.
displayStrings.properties is in English. All the others need to be translated to the language in the file name. So, if you see displayStrings_de.properties that’s German (de = Deutsche). I did some of that one to give you an idea of what’s required, and each of the others has the first line translated too.
If you take this on, leave a note here so that we don’t have two people working on the same file, ok?
Unfortunately we need to get first the code ready to support translations.
I just started in the very beginning with the properties file but that covers just 10% or less of all used strings. If anyone wants to work on that, would be great!
It requires to replace all strings used in the java code by the resource ID:
e.g.: BSResources.get(“createOffer.fundsBox.totalsNeeded.prompt”)) - in CreateOfferView.java
There are duplicated strings as well so it needs a good naming scheme to not lose overview what is used in which areas.
Another important issue is that the translated strings are breaking the layout (if they are longer). French for instance is typically 30% longer than english which leads often to layout issues. It would be good to have a collection of screenshots where the translator can see the usage, and once we get the translations we should check if it does not break layout or is truncated.
Once all display strings are supported then we should check out which tool is best suited for non programmers to help us with translation.
Transiflex is widely used, but I have not looked closer into it. We just need to support our properties file and use UTF8 to support all special characters (if your text editor is not set correctly then the special chars get screwed up).
I would prefer only real, native translation. When I use an app and it is translated by machines to german it looks very cheap to me and gives me a bad impresssion. I prefer to have then english.
We got in Github and the wiki (and I have a few by email as well) quite a lot of offers of people who want to help us for translation. So we could check out with them once we are prepared.
Files are in UTF8 format and should be kept in that format. Editing with Windows Notepad is fine, do not use an editor like MSWord because it adds junk we don’t need into the file. If you use Linux or some other OS please save with CRLF line endings.