Bitsquare bounty: 0.5 BTC for new brand name

Yeah Manfred you read my mind, after my suggestion of BitQuill for the new brand name for bitsquare i looked at our logo and thought our logo is great i am sure a lot of thought went into it for it to communicate so much of bitsquare ideology at a glance, my mantra is never change a winning team rather run and improve it, so in my effort to retain the existing logo with a simple tweak, i came up with “…[a picture of a Quill]” attached to the base of the bitsquare logo like it just finished inscribing the logo. I hope you can picture it like i do, i guess when the time comes i will send you a sketch of it.

I would like to propose a name that includes a phrase with the word “Cambist”, or some play on it, such as “Cambits”.

From http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cambist

Cambist (plural cambists)
Noun

1. a dealer in bills of exchange.
  2. an expert in foreign exchange.
  3. a manual giving the moneys, weights, and measures of different countries, with their equivalents.

Etymology: French cambiste, Italian cambista, from Latin cambire to exchange.

Nice piece, learned one or two things in your write up about branding, while i appreciate your views i do not share all of them, i think i read somewhere in bitsquare philosophy that bitsquare is not a company, it is an open source community focused on decentralized financial exchange after the ideology of Bitcoin, its in the pursuit of a niche which preserve what is left for the free folk to hold on to, free exchange. Your analogy above has emphasized the way it has been traditionally done which has been successful for its part, and by “companies” all over the world, but i am thinking that is the whole essence of bitsquare, not carrying on a centralized system.

On the part of a wider audience appeal, i think having a universal value to offer should suffice, people usually have a way of finding what they want when they look hard enough, sometimes the non in tune crowd are more destructive than constructive especially an inchoate stage of development where the controls are yet to be stable.

On the whole your views ain’t out of point and your amalgamation combo is cool and simple, but the instruction by the bitsquare team was specific, i am sure if they have their way they won’t be changing anything at all.

My humble opinnion

1 Like

i propose this two names:

BitSynergy

SynergyEx

All based on your principles and philosophy

To put positive in the name that it uses privacy enhancing technologies, my idea is:
ExchangePrivate, privateEx or Exprivate

coinscape

Thats how Andreas Antonopoulos would have called Bitcoin :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cool reply , thats why i picked it ,trustnet 4 bitcoin futures

Nextrade… (with the notion of future and the “ex” for excentred trade…) which I personally like the most or

Dexoplanet
(exoplanet def: “a planet which orbits a star outside the solar system” not so bad…, and with an additional ‘D’ for the ‘dex’ decentralized exchange)

Beelinetrade (Beeline meaning "a direct route traveled quickly (usually in the phrase “make a beeline for”) so other possibilities:
Beelinedeal/Beelineswap/Beelineswitch…

or very simple
Tradirect / direcTrade

a last one :
Swapgate

my proposal is: coinsnip

Hypercube

• Sounds high energy - Great for an exchange

• Efficient rebranding - Hypercube works with the current logo design (perhaps even better than bitsquare)

• 2D depictions of hypercubes look like decentralized networks

• The multidimensional nature of hypercubes compliments the nature of a decentralized exchange for decentralized currencies

Alternative suggestion:

#Dexeract
A pormanteau of of dex (abbreviation for decentralized exchange) and dekeract (a 10 dimensional hypercube).

BitMart

LibreBit

Librecoin

PeerBit / BitPeer

UniBit

U-Bit

U-Crypt

Open-Bit

BitFete

BitCompass

crypmarket (I sell the domain name for another 0.5btc)

Bitsellfie

Bitselfie

Bitself

Bitselfee

One thing implicit in my treatise on branding, which I should have clarified as clear as crystal, is that the goal of an open source project shares an aspect with the goal of company—nearly every endeavor has this characteristic: The need of an audience (or market share/customer base, in business terms). I chose companies as my examples, because they are the entities that are very good at meeting this need and are fairly recognizable examples.

. . . while i appreciate your views i do not share all of them, i think i read somewhere in bitsquare philosophy that bitsquare is not a company, it is an open source community focused on decentralized financial exchange after the ideology of Bitcoin, its in the pursuit of a niche which preserve what is left for the free folk to hold on to, free exchange.

I am not sure if I correctly understand you. Please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation of your statement: You state that, since Bitsquare is not a company, all ‘my’ observations surrounding branding of companies do not necessarily apply to the new branding that Bitsquare seeks? While I agree with that statement, I really feel that statement conflates two separate premises that should be split up into two statements—both of which I also agree with (splitting them up is to simply further elucidate the nature of my dissertation).

1. Observations surrounding branding of companies do not necessarily apply to open source projects.

2. Bitsquare is seeking branding that is congruous with its message (i.e., principles and philosophy).

I agree with both of those statements, which is why I made a brand name suggestion that does not conform to all the observations and sufficiently broadcasts Bitsquares message.

In fact, it wouldn’t even be possible to make a brand that conformed to all the observations I made, as, when writing of brands that soft-rebranded in order to expand domains, even I brought forth two differing possible interpretations. Here is what I suspect is the source of your apparent disagreeal: You may have inferred that I was suggesting that the considerations surrounding brand names are definite rules. I did not claim any of the observations that I made as views I hold on branding that any entity must or even should adhere to; they are simply different considerations to be weighed, in order to demonstrate a way to get a good feel for the tradeoffs between different possible brand names.

With all those considerations meant for weighing possibilities and weighing possibilities only, I also added the guidelines for brand name proposals to the scales, to find the ideal balance for the new branding that Bitsquare seeks. I did not think it necessary to write out the guidelines again, as they went without saying since they are present at the top of this thread.

On the whole your views ain’t out of point and your amalgamation combo is cool and simple, but the instruction by the bitsquare team was specific . . .

I can assure you I was aware of the caveat that “Above all, the new name should resonate with Bitsquare’s principles and philosophy.” Allow me to quote myself:

I suppose, if Bitsquare is completely dedicated to the ideal of a decentralized exchange and does not foresee abandoning this course, then it may be permissible to have branding that communicates that intent.

Only after that provision (and after a slight digression into more brand-related considerations) did I make my only branding suggestion (deex), which, to the bitcoin community that places value on the ideal of decentralization, affirms this ideal, and to the portion of the community that doesn’t really care either way, is only a short, simple, memorable, easy-to-spell-and-to-type (look at the positions of ‘d’, ‘e’, and ‘x’ on QWERTY keyboards) word.

Further worth noting to the Bitsquare team, it would not be incongruous with Bitsquare’s vision of a decentralized exchange if the people who did not have a problem with centralized exchanges were to use Bitsquare (or deex) or a deex-derivative. In fact, I think Bitsquare would be quite pleased if it could in some way displace the leading centralized exchanges. A carefully chosen brand name is just one of the many things that would not be a hindrance to this mission.

On the part of a wider audience appeal, i think having a universal value to offer should suffice . . .

A universal value is nice and all, but if the brand name is terrible, it would be detrimental to the project overall. What if Bitsquare were to rebrand as ‘KKK’? Or Principled Exchanging in Decentralization by Open Source (acronymized: PEDOS)? Don’t underplay the importance of cautious branding.

sometimes the non in tune crowd are more destructive than constructive

I would appreciate a concrete example or two, as I find myself thinking that the non-in-tune crowd in this specific situation would, by the very facts that qualify them as non-in-tune (lacking technical understandings and developmental ability), would not lead to a situation where they would be checking in destructive changes or making pull requests that contain damaging changes. I am aware that non-in-tune also could mean individuals that do have the technical capability but are aggressors to the principles driving the project—but this argument is weak as this is an open source project: Those in the community that esteem decentralization will do due diligence to audit the code, and any and all concerns will be raised.

My not-as-humble response.

1 Like

BitPlaza

BitZquare
BitZquadro
QuadroBits

“Plaza” and “Quadro” are synonyms for “Square”

[BIT]
Bit[]

• hard to pronounce though :slight_smile:

BitCorner

corner -the point, area, or line that is formed by the meeting of two lines, surfaces, roads, etc

BitByBit
BitXBit
XBit
BitX
B2B
Bit2Bit

• has similar construction as PeerToPeer, 4X4, 2X2
  • as in a square has both “sides” of the same length
  • has many “deep” meanings

Bitcreed

Quorex

Bitfort

Astralex

Astrex

Iperbolex

Iperex

Mundoex

Roboex

Clover

Thanks for your interesting contribution!
I agree that the “bit” is over-used and a name without “bit” would be preferable.
The double letters in names is a good observation as well, I was never aware of that. Seems it gives some visual weight in a word.
I am not considering to use a .com domain as that’s typically used for companies. But that should make it easier for us ;-).
Most squatters are focused on .com domains.

I would also prefer to find a name which has not such a narrow connection to exchange.
Bitsquare can be the start of many more (CoinJoin, Micro-credit market, Marketplace, CFD, more importantly the coming DAO and following tools on top of that,…).
So the core values for me are: Openness, protection of privacy, permission-less, alternative structures for organizing and funding OS projects (DAO), synergy, resilience, value transfer, new more flexible and open forms of money (value representation),…
A name representing some of the above would be a great candidate.
Of course it should be relatively short, easy to remember, spell and write and not over-used/hyped.
A name from a non English language might be nice as well to emphasize the global character and it would bring some counter weight in the English dominance. Also nearly all short English names are taken.