Bitsquare don't opens (Ubuntu 16.04)

That is strange. Seem Ubuntu has seriously broken something with Java.

1 Like

But yesterday it was working. I had a trade open not sure if it finished. Hope it worked and went through. Still cannot get the app to start.

Do you have another OS/computer? If so move over the data directory and start there. If not consider to revert the OS update. Seems Ubuntu fucked up something.

Thereā€™s been no updates to linux on that cocputer. I had a trade going on buying another coin with btc.

1. How can I know the trade completed?
  2. How can I find the wallet for the alt coin I was trading into?
  3. Can I reinstall bitsquare without risking my data and that trade?
  4. Also I donā€™t have another computer.

thanks for your help on this.

At a shell prompt, type uname -a. Look at the version number shown. If it says 4.10.0-24 then itā€™s the broken kernel. Reboot and run the older kernel, 4.10.0-22 and Bitsquare will run fine.

To get to the older kernel, you usually need to hold down right-shift on start-up and then select the kernel you need to run.

1 Like

Do u know why the kernel is broken and if they are working on fixes (assume so)?

My kernal looks to be slightly older. uname -a gives me:
4.8.0-56-generic #61~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 14 11:58:22 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If I reinstall Bitsquare, wil my data be ok?
Also, how can I see the wallet for the currency I was trading into?

This is weird. This seems like some other kernel then what you get wtih ā€œuname -aā€.
This other kernel is newer and fits the time line. Also this kernel has also experienced segmentation fault even running programs like gnome-shell https://bugs.centos.org/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=12368

Ah thanks! So it is a kernel issue and users should revert the kernel and wait for the next fix for that.

I upgraded my kernel to 4.11.6-041106-generic and now things are working. Still strange to me becuase my kernel has not been updated since installing Bitsquare. At any rate, things are working. I have another issue now about a trade, Iā€™ll open another ticket for that. Thanks Cliff and Manfred for your help!

On my PC the bug occurred with the kernel 4.4.0-81, I started it with 4.4.0-79 and bitsquaro went back to working without problems.

1 Like

Hi. Just to confirm here, i am having the same issue.

@Anquiza You are right my friend! I was on 4.4.0-79 - flawless no problems, till i decided to boot into newer 4.4.0-81 kernel, bisq refused to open. I also did not see any logs anywhere (but i never tried opening bisq from terminal so i dont know). So i booted back to 4.4.0-79.

BUT this is not a solution to the problem! Has anyone reported this to the Ubuntu team??

There are many other apps with the same problem and I am sure Ubuntu is working on a fix. In the upcoming release (today) there is also the VM arg added which might help to get it working with the flawed Kernel.

It isnā€™t just Ubuntu I think. To my understanding it was a problematic kernel fix for a local privilege escalation vulnerability (Stack Clash) that affected many Unix-like systems including OpenBSD and itā€™s variants.

Hello I add my post to this thread because my issue is rather similar and I donā€™t know itā€™s worthy to open a new conversationā€¦

Iā€™m trying to install on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 (build 4.4.0-87-generic) and, using the Debian package, Iā€™m encountering the ā€˜segmentation errorā€™ described above.

I tried to compile from sources, however I find really hard to follow the procedure in https://github.com/bitsquare/bitsquare/blob/master/doc/build.md (where is point 2? when did I downloaded the files to build bisq with mvn?)

Then, I tried using the script install_on_unix.sh, from the /doc directory. Everthing whent well untill building bisq in the directory bitsquare, PLZ see below:

Install and resolve dependencies for bisq
Cloning into 'bitsquare'...
remote: Counting objects: 114275, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (187/187), done.
remote: Total 114275 (delta 72), reused 239 (delta 51), pack-reused 113963
Ricezione degli oggetti: 100% (114275/114275), 165.73 MiB | 505.00 KiB/s, done.
Risoluzione dei delta: 100% (65242/65242), done.
Checking connectivity... fatto.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Reactor Build Order:
[INFO] 
[INFO] parent
[INFO] common
[INFO] jsocks
[INFO] jtorctl
[INFO] jtorproxy
[INFO] network
[INFO] core
[INFO] gui
[INFO] seednode
[INFO] statistics
[INFO] provider
[INFO]                                                                         
[INFO] Building parent 0.5.0
[INFO] 
[INFO] --- maven-clean-plugin:2.5:clean (default-clean) @ parent ---
[INFO]                                                                         
[INFO] Building common 0.5.0
[WARNING] The POM for org.libdohj:libdohj-core:jar:0.14.1 is missing, no dependency information available
[INFO] Reactor Summary:
[INFO] 
[INFO] parent ............................................. SUCCESS [  1.000 s]
[INFO] common ............................................. FAILURE [  1.474 s]
[INFO] jsocks ............................................. SKIPPED
[INFO] jtorctl ............................................ SKIPPED
[INFO] jtorproxy .......................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] network ............................................ SKIPPED
[INFO] core ............................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] gui ................................................ SKIPPED
[INFO] seednode ........................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] statistics ......................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] provider ........................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 3.444 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2017-07-30T20:15:34+02:00
[INFO] Final Memory: 6M/17M
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project common: Could not resolve dependencies for project io.bisq:common:jar:0.5.0: Failure to find org.libdohj:libdohj-core:jar:0.14.1 in https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of sonatype-oss-snapshot has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with the -e switch.
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/DependencyResolutionException
[ERROR] 
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with the command
[ERROR]   mvn <goals> -rf :common
Add BountyCastle.jar
cp: impossibile eseguire stat di '.m2/repository/org/bouncycastle/bcprov-jdk15on/1.53/bcprov-jdk15on-1.53.jar': File o directory non esistente

I tried to include libdohj in the script (how could I share an attachment here?) however nothing changed. How could I solve the segmentation problem or find a step-to-step guid to build from sources?

Thank you very much!

daniele

This problem was resolved by simply updating your Ubuntu version. Just go to console and type ā€œsudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgradeā€ and then reboot. It should prompt you to install a new Linux kernel for your Ubuntu installation that doesnā€™t have this problem.

Thank you for your answer. Core 4.4.0-87 seems to be the the latest version for Ubuntu 16.04, so sudo apt-get dist-upgrade doesnā€™t seem to change nothing. I will try to shift to 16.04.2 (Iā€™d rather prefer to keep a LST version than to install 17.04). I lett you know when done, thanX!

I prefer LTS versions as well and would recommend you continue using it. To my knowledge the newest version is 4.10.0-28 , did you get your version using ā€œuname -rā€? Run ā€œuname -aā€ as well, just in case.

Found out: Ubuntu 16.04.2 could stick on 4.4 core if you installed it starting from the previous LTS. You have to explicitly enable the update to the new kernel with:

sudo apt-get install --install-recommends xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04

(solution from: https://askubuntu.com/questions/885054/upgrade-16-04-2-lts-to-kernel-version-4-8)

Iā€™m upgrading and I will try ASAP if this fix the issue (I suppose yes). ThanX

2 Likes