Changing computers?

I am very new to bisq, but I would like to shift my account and wallet to another computer , that can stay online for trades. However after entering the seed words and date of my previous wallet, I received a warning that this process is only for emergencies, and data may be lost.
To switch computers , Is it recommended to start over with a new account?

If you Copy the bisq data directory from the old machine to the new machine it should work. If all looks fine, don’t use bisq again on the old machine. Make sure to delete the data directory and uninstall from the old machine. Make backup of the folder just in case first.

If you have no Bitcoin in the old wallet, may be best to start fresh.

• Mac OSX: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Bitsquare
  • Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Bitsquare
  • Windows 7,8: C:\Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\Bitsquare
  • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Bitsquare
1 Like

thank you for the explanation. Is it possible to change machines with a trade open?

It should be fine. Im sure iv done the same before with an offer open, but not taken.

You need to move over the complete data directory. the seed words is not enough. you must not use both at the same time and when moving back be sure to not mess up otherwise you data get out of sync. all bisq data are in the data directory (account/backup button to open it).

2 Likes

I’m assuming “all bisq data” includes the amount of time the account has been in good standing?

This is an important concept if you want to bring your higher trade limits with you when moving machines.

There is a good post from Manfred on this topic:

I am not sure what you mean by “good standing”, since there is no kind of reputation in Bisq.
But if you are referring to account age witness, yes, you can transfer the account age that will allow you those higher trading limits.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I meant, the account age witness. Thanks for clarifying.