I just lost all my coins off of the Bisq exchange [resolved]

I had 0.72+ BTC that disappeared. I was transferring some BTC out. The screen locked at the password entry. When I reentered the program, the coins where all gone. Please help.

Hello, did you verify the involved addresses with (at least) one explorer ? If not, do it.

Can you please give more detailed information? Nobody lost ever BTC at Bisq. Check with different block explorers, some blockexplorer dont show unconfirmed tx if they contain opReturn outputs.

For community perspective:

The trading platform is working for me. Yes, I wish it was more liquid, however, it will only be a matter of time before BISQ and other DEXs’ will be the norm. I hope to see support for private blockchains (XMR) as soon as the tech presents itself. Bitcoin is great, but not appropriate for P2P transactions (traceable).

Thank you for your courage and non-stop work on this project!

1 Like

Yes, Monero as a base currency would give a great amount of privacy.
Hopefully one day we might have a dev working on that :slight_smile:

PS: As long as you have your seed words, there is nothing to worry about.
You will always be able to import them into another wallet.

1 Like

Chris Beams sent me the following:
“You haven’t lost the funds. Your wallet us just in an inconsistent state after the failure.
Go to Settings->Network info->Resync SPV file to fix it.”
I tried the fix six times… The farthest I could sync was 77% and then the program stopped working.
I do have the seed, how do I use it?

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2018 1:35 PM
To: ajkroot@comcast.net
Subject: [Bisq] [Support] I just lost all my coins off of the Bisq exchange

ManfredKarrer Founder 

June 29
Can you please give more detailed information? Nobody lost ever BTC at Bisq. Check with different block explorers, some blockexplorer dont show unconfirmed tx if they contain opReturn outputs.

Chris Beams sent me the following:
“You haven’t lost the funds. Your wallet us just in an inconsistent state after the failure.
Go to Settings->Network info->Resync SPV file to fix it.”
I tried the fix six times… The farthest I could sync was 77% and then the program stopped working.
I do have the seed, how do I use it?

You can always import your seed words into a wallet like Electrum, if you can’t get Bisq to work.

Any errors in the log file that you can see?
Do you have any open trades currently?

I don’t have Electrum. Are there any other wallets. I was starting a trade but it didn’t go through.

Maybe Coinomi? I am not sure.
Any wallet that is BIP 44 should do it.

If the trade didn’t start then there should be no problems in recovering from seed words or backup.
You can try installing Bisq on another computer and restore from backup if you wish.

Now do you restore from backup. Where do inter the backup? I have a backup dated 6/19/2018. Is that I problem?

Where would I put the seed works?

In order to restore from backup, you need to rename your data directory (you can go to Account->Backup to open it) and replace it with the folder in your backup.

Restoring from seed words is a simpler process, but you only restore your bitcoins and none of your account data. You can either restore it in Bisq, in Account->Wallet seed section or in another wallet, as said above.

It is not clear to me what you are asking me to do with the backup procedure. Could you go step by step.

Is bisq_backup_2018_19_084513 the folder you want me to rename? And then what?

Do you have a local Bitcoin core node in pruned mode running? if so either deactivate pruned mode or shut it down so Bisq connects to other nodes. Pruned mode does not deliver all tx data u need.

1 Like

No, first you need to rename your data directory.
Then rename bisq_backup_2018_19_084513 to Bisq and place it in the same directory as data directory (to replace it).

The idea is that bisq_backup_2018_19_084513 is now your data directory, so Bisq will use that when it boots up.

What is the name of the data directory and where is it.

locations:
Mac OSX: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Bisq
Linux: /home/username/.local/share/Bisq
Windows 7,8,10: C:\Documents and Settings\username\AppData\Roaming\Bisq
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Bisq

You can also see the location by clicking Account/Backup/Application Data Directory/Open Directory

If you really want help, you should also help yourself by giving good informations about your “problem”.
It’s hard to help with oneliner or half oneliner informations distributed sparingly drop after drop.

1 Like

Sorry, I don’t no what your terms mean.
I was able to restore from my 6/19/2018 backup. But there is a big problem. Before the crash I had 0.72+ BTC, but after restoring I had 0.25+ BTC. Is there a fix?