N26 just quit my account

Hi there, just a shoutout, topic says it all.
I’ve been with N26 for cca 2.5 years, happy user. Did some trades here and there in past 3 months (total maybe 20?) and just got the 2 week notice. Most of them were Sepa, tried the moneybeam and then it happened.
The reason is some cryptical reference to TOS violation but no details. It looks like a decent divorce though, I got some time to move funds, download history, etc. It just sucks.

1 Like

Ah, sorry to hear that, but much thanks for passing the information.
One more bank to put on the blacklist.

And you think this happened because of the Bisq trades?

2 Likes

And you think this happened because of the Bisq trades?

What else? I’ve been using the account since late 2016 and used it pretty much for the same things all the time (shopping, cash withdrawals, monthly donations to favorite causes). all working well for 2+ years. I start using n26 money beam and bam, account closure notice, support closes chat and refuses to provide any info.

They are a decent bank, system very responsive, app is nice. Just the way they close account (provide no info) is like the usual stuff from bitcoin forums about account closures.

Hi, same with me. New to Bisq and after about 4 trades within 2 days using N26 MoneyBeam I got the email annoucing account cancellation within 2 weeks. The violated article of terms and conditions they referred to is complete nonsense, having nothing to do with any of my transactions.

What is much more serious I could not make EUR transfer in order to withdraw my money anymore through mobile or web app - without showing any kind of error. When I contacted support, after identity verification they said they will look at the account and few second later just terminated the support chat without explanation.

For the safety of other users I would suggest to remove MoneyBeam option from Bisq.

3 Likes

@lazybones @mevean I’m not familiar with N26. How different were the transactions coming from the Bisq trades from your previous transactions. Can you speculate on what triggered the cancellations? And do you know if it would be possible to circumvent it?

I got email quoting the same BS TOS art 19 (3). I could withdraw without any issues though. Bank is honoring their part of the agreement and I have nothing bad to say except that it sucks to setup the recurring transfers elsewhere and their exchange rate for ATM withdrawals abroad was amazing.
I’ll see if I get any additional info via a complain to the German bank watchdog but I guess I’m done banking with them.

@huey no idea what triggered it. getting back to sepa only

1 Like

All my attempts to transfer were blocked, I tried many times through both mobile app and internet banking. What was funny that I was still able to withdraw cash from ATM … now I do not know if they are just so incompetent or what happened. Luckily I did not use them as my primary bank, so no need to setup any standing orders. Anyway it sucks, cause I have no glue what triggered the account cancellation - apart from 4 bisq trades, that looks the same as any ebay purchases and I just did few transfers between my own account and recieved 3 payments for renting an appartment. The only idea that comes to my mind is that one of the bisq purchasers is blacklisted and they for some reason let him transact and close all related accounts.

However this would be pretty weird and shitty practice - I actually work for a bank in another euro country. Outside of normal business issues like not repaid loans / fees we do block / close accounts based on court decision, positive AML checks (this never covers small 100 - 200 euro transfers), theoretically some international terrorist list check. We do actively block transfers (high risk countries and blacklisted counterparties, frequent or high transfers to some betting services - there is a law for that) but not accounts. We do NOT block transfers to crypto exchanges. We do handover transaction data only based on police / court inquiry.

2 Likes

If you get any response from german banking regulator, please share it, I am more professionaly than personnally interested :slight_smile:

Oh sorry to hear those issues. Will consider to remove Moneybeam. Seems the fintech companies get worse then the normal banks. I assume the regulators pressure them hard and they are too incompetent to handle that.

2 Likes

Hi, N26 has just canceled my account today. I used it only for Bisq, all movements were incoming transfers from selling btc. 4 transfers in january, 1 in february and 3 in march (8 in total). I did not use MoneyBeam, all the transfers were SEPA, and the last transfer I received was 22 days ago. I have no other movement at all in this account apart from those incoming Bisq SEPA transfers. The reason they give is a generic “sustantial violation of the terms and conditions”.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that.
Thanks however for passing the information.

N26 Quit my account too. Started today using Moneybeam 12 incoming trades (3 splittet). How long it will take to get the money back?

Same with me ref. N26 - I thought it was because of my Bisq activity but it didn’t make much sense. I think also they cull people who don’t make them any money. If you don’t have you paycheck going into N26 , and just use it for occasional deposits and ATM withdrawals… then you’re just a cost to them.
It took them nearly 8 weeks to return my balance. I harrassed them as much as possible and tried to make complaints… I left a one star review.
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/n26.com

Actually looks like they’ve been manipulating their score… it was at about 1.5* before…
Shit bank, shit service, I don’t recommend them to anyone.

1 Like

he he only 8 weeks. sounds much more faster as mt-gox :smiley:

I know this thread is about N26 but I just want to let people know this is exactly what Revolut did to me as well. After they kicked me out of the chat the app wouldn’t start again, they obviously locked me out. Funds withheld, luckily I only had a very small amount there. Not being able to access the app means not being able to reach their customer service chat, which is the only way of contacting them (no phone number to speak to human).

1 Like

I was at N26 and have only made a deposit and a debit within 2 years (trial booking). On 26.3.2019 my account was terminated due to abnormalities and breach of the terms and conditions. Have the BaFin informed. I have not yet received feedback.

Same for me last year after a few transfers to Kraken. My guess is that they close accounts where they can spot any crypto activity. By the way, they just froze my account and the process of recovering my funds has been a real nightmare.

I did not have any crypto activity on my account. And yet they did it. BaFin has contacted today. The bank must comment on the process. :rofl::rofl:The BaFin says that the process can take up to 3 months.