Restore wallet form seed with bisq seem do not work

I accidentally overwrite my backup bisq and I can not restore the bsiq v1.1.2 wallet with the seed. it tells me that it has been restored but at restart I wallet is not restored.

Can you tell me that it is possible with Bisq to restore a wallet with the 3 first words of the seed and the date of registration?

With the 12 word seed, you should be able to fully restore your wallet. As far as I know, all the registration date does is speed up the initial wallet synchronization (by skipping everything before the date). So make absolutely sure there were no transactions with the wallet before the date that you entered.

Why do you ask if it is possible to restore with only the first three words? This is impossible without brute-forcing the remaining words, so if you don’t know them, you are pretty much out of luck…

in fact, I made two mistakes. I have a mv instead of the cp on folder backup and I noted only 11 seed as a big nag.
I have tested the restore with the folder that worked, but the OS on usb has spat without I do a backup.
I was too quick and clumsy with the first account credited of 11 MBTC.

In bisq, it says that we can restore the wallet in case of emergency with the interface:
do you have this option in the interface with 3 words seed ? it is not used to restore the wallet?

Otherwise, I’ll have to accept my mistakes.
Brute-forcing can be an option to search for only one missing seed?

I can’t see any option to restore using a 3-word seed in Bisq. But even if the restore worked, it would be a different wallet than the one you’d get with your 12-word seed.

If you have 11 of the 12 words, you actually still have a chance to recover your wallet! Each word represents 11 bits of the entropy. For a 12-word seed, 4 bits are used as a checksum. That leaves you with 7 unknown bits, so just 128 possibilities for your last word. This can easily be brute-forced!

Thank you for your very informative answer. I saw that I needed 150GB to try a brute force with btcrecover, I will try that when it will be worth it.
The option I’m talking about and proposing in:
Bisq / wallet / seed of the wallet / restore wallets from the seed
Maybe this option works only if we have files in .local / share / Bisq?

Upon hearing I will re-credit another account, i think.

I know an easy way to bruteforce any missing word with some JavaScript if you know which word you have missing. Do you know if it’s the first, the last or somewhere in the middle?

EDIT: for this to work, you need the words in the exact order and specify a missing one in a correct position

Thanks @goraelec
unfortunately I do not know where this is the postision of the missing words.
also maybe restore the files from the crypted USB drive is a solution too.

I’ll reach out to the dev that works with me for a solution and will post it here. You can run that code from your browser (client-side execution)

BTW, never give out your 12 words, even partially, to anyone. :slight_smile:

Just tried “Account” -> “Wallet Seed” -> “Restore wallets from seed words”. The “Restore Wallets” button stays greyed out until I enter the last of the 12 words of my wallet seed…

But the script mentioned by @goraelec seems promising. Even if you don’t know the position, you can just try it 12 times (or even just 10 times, if the first or last word was missing, you would surely have noticed, right?)

@goraelec Sounds like a very interesting and useful script! How does the script check whether the addresses were used? Do you need to enter addresses of which you know they belong to the wallet, or does it even scan the blockchain? If so, how? Using an external third-party API?

The script runs BIP39 js implementation and returns a list of valid 12-word recovery phrases to Chrome devtools console. The typical input is

first second third ${missing} fifth sixth seventh eighth ninth tenth eleventh twelfth

List will contain 12-word phrases that produce a valid BIP39 checksum. You will then need to use a wallet like Electrum to check each of them manually

Oof, importing up to 1280 phrases in Electrum sounds like a lot of work…
@hqroq Do you still know some of the addresses of your wallet? Because then the script could be extended to derive keys using BIP32 and check if their addresses are one of the ones you provided.
If you don’t know the addresses, you would probably need a full node to fully automate the brute-forcing. Or maybe you can even automate it with Electrum scripting.

But doing the imports manually is probably not even worth the effort for 0.011 BTC…

@a123b when I try to restore the seed in bisq, the field only accepts 3 words seed and the button becomes active. if I type 4 words seed the button becomes inactive, and the text turns red. (this is confusing)
I realized now that without a complete seed, I can not do it.

I guess the first three words of your seed coincidentally have a valid checksum, that’s why it lets you restore the wallet using that seed. But that’s an entirely different (and very insecure!) wallet!

Last time we tried this, the list of valid phrases contained 122 items :grin:. So yeah, it’s a lot of work, but it’s up to the person who needs the seed if it’s worth something

Thank you ! I understand now, behaving normally in bisq.

I do not think it’s the first three and the last seed.
Yes I public address of wallet bisq, that I found in the transaction of my other wallet.

Pending a potential solution with the client side, I will redo a brand new bisq wallet.

In this case, it might actually be possible to code a script that

• Creates a list of candidate seeds
  • Derives addresses from it and compares them to the one you know

For create list of condidate seed, in seed any words dictionary can be use ?
we can do that with pywallet ?

pywallet BIP32 (HD) and bisq BIP44 so with pywallet that seem is not possible.